The following roadmap represents Vaadin team's current expectations of its product development schedules and future directions. This is intended for informational purposes only and should not be interpreted as a commitment. It is more likely than not that the schedules and roadmap targets change in the future. These changes are updated on this web page regularly.
Vaadin Framework maintenance
Vaadin Framework version 8 is supported with regular maintenance releases every 2 weeks. The focus is on continuously increasing the quality of the framework. Covered by the bug fix priority service.
Vaadin Framework version 7 is covered by the bug fix priority service. In addition to prioritized bugs, only security and other major issues are addressed.
Vaadin Core Elements
- vaadin-form-layout, vaadin-input, and vaadin-button
- Polymer 2 support for elements
- vaadin-grid 3.0
- vaadin-combo-box 2.0
- vaadin-date-picker 2.0
- vaadin-context-menu 2.0
- vaadin-upload 2.0
- vaadin-split-layout 2.0
- vaadin-icons 4.0
Vaadin Framework 8.1
- TreeGrid, including modern API for hierarchical data
- Drag & Drop in Grid
- Components in Grid
Vaadin Board 1.0 for Framework 8
- Building dashboards fast and easy
- Intelligent and responsive layouting
Vaadin Charts for Polymer 2
- Use Vaadin Charts with the latest version of Polymer
Vaadin Bakery App Starter for FW8 and Spring
- An application foundation, including a full end-to-end tech stack
- All the best practices in Vaadin app development and all of Pro.
- The best way to build Vaadin applications professionally.
Read more about our plans for 2017 and beyond in this blog post.
What Happens Right Now?
Up-to-the-minute list of things that the Vaadin development team is working on can be seen from the GitHub's milestones.
What Happens Next?
All of the planned future development can be viewed in the milestones on this page. Milestones with a date are mostly implemented in a timely manner. Ideas on the backlogs with no date set might never get implemented.
How To Get Feature X Implemented?
There are three ways of ensuring that your favourite feature will get implemented:
- Implement it yourself. Really! Just get the sources, compile and start implementing. It is not that hard.
- Vote for a ticket of your favourite feature (requires a Vaadin Support subscription).
- Sponsor the development of the feature.
We value all suggestions for new features and will try to accomodate as much as possible. Vaadin UserVoice also contains feature suggestions which you can vote for.
How To Get the Feature In Vaadin?
Implementing a feature for yourself is one thing, implementing and documenting it in a way everyone can enjoy it is a totally different story. For the feature to get in the main release, it must be ready for everyone and the development team must feel comfortable maintaining the feature for years.
If you have implemented a feature that you consider worthy to be integrated, please post a pull request via GitHub. We try to evaluate all patches in a timely fashion and will respect your contribution and try really hard to make it happen.
All version numbers for Vaadin products are of form major.minor.maintenance.postfix. Major releases are released, when new features require breaking backwards compatibility. Minor releases are released for adding new features that maintain backwards compatibility. Maintenance releases fix bugs and contain no new features. The postfix is optional indication of stability. For more info on version numbers, read this blog post.
Each major release of Vaadin Framework is maintained for at least 5 years after the initial public stable release of the major version. A major version is maintained with minor and maintenance releases. Only the latest minor release for each major release will receive maintenance releases.
Currently supported major versions are:
- Vaadin Framework 7 (maintained at least to the end of Feb 2018)
- Vaadin Framework 8 (maintained at least to the end of Feb 2022)