After 5 years from its initial release, Vaadin 8 reached the end of free support on February 21, 2022. Vaadin Prime and Enterprise subscribers may access extended maintenance releases to keep their V8 applications running.
Scope of included products
- The Vaadin 8 Core framework.
- All Vaadin 8-specific Pro add-ons.
- All official Core Add-ons (for example CDI, Spring, ContextMenu, etc.).
- You wish to keep your Vaadin 8 app running while performing an upgrade to the latest Vaadin version.
- You have a customer-facing web application built on Vaadin 8 with a binding support agreement with your customers.
- Your internal web framework powering your critical business web applications is built on Vaadin 8.
Types of maintenance tasks
The Vaadin support team performs two types of maintenance tasks:
1. Proactive tasks
- Automated integration testing on Vaadin 8-supported browsers.
- 3rd-party library monitoring for security alerts etc.
- Security impact monitoring of any new features added to Vaadin 8 (through EoD etc.). The security impact is reviewed through the normal review processes.
2. Reactive maintenance tasks
- Responding to bug fix and warranty priorities for Vaadin 8.
- Responding to Expert Chat requests for Vaadin 8-related issues.
Communication about security vulnerabilities
- If Vaadin receives a report for a security flaw, Vaadin will fix the issue, and then communicate the incident to all affected customers through a private mailing list.
- Expert Chat may be used for Vaadin 8-related communication.
Bug Fixes and feature releases in the Framework since version 8.14.2
Under the extended maintenance service, Vaadin has already released the following versions to our customers:
- Introduced predefined text/html Snippets feature for the RichTextArea component
- Moved connector map cleaning logic invocation from UI.unlock() to VaadinService.requestEnd() when not using Push
- Improved Grid multi-select performance
- Backported automatic conversion support and other Binder improvements from Vaadin Flow
- Added support for Liferay kernel versions up to 49
- Changed all resources to use Object.class as interface type to support OSGi Portlets on Liferay CE 7.3.6 GA7 or later (issue #12504)
- Fixed an issue where Grid was moving the focus away from external input controls when the data source contents were updated
- Fixed an issue where manual field binding configurations might get overwritten by automatic binding logic
- Field level verification in Binder is no longer run twice
- Fix: Allow scrolling away from a Grid using touch
- Fix: Throw exception when attempting to merge BeanPropertySets with identical keys but different value types
- Added a more intuitive resynchronization error message
- Change license from Apache 2.0 to CVDLv4
How to access the releases
Starting with 8.15.0, the extended maintenance releases are deployed to Maven Central. You will need a license to use the extended support releases - the license file and the instructions on how to use it can be found here: https://vaadin.com/pro/validate-license
List of supported technologies
Vaadin 8 is compatible with Java 8 and newer up to Java 8. The framework building is not possible with newer Java versions than 8, however, it is possible to develop applications with Java 11 and Java 17 provided that client-side code conforms to Java 8. Note, that using newer JDK versions will pose limitations to application server compatibility. Vaadin 8 is especially supported on the following operating systems:
- Mac OS X
Vaadin Framework 8 requires Java Servlet API 3.0 but also supports later versions and should work with any Java application server that conforms to the standard. The following application servers are supported:
- Apache Tomcat 7-9
- Apache TomEE 1.7 and 7.0
- Oracle WebLogic Server 12.2
- IBM WebSphere Application Server 9
- JBoss EAP 6
- Wildfly 8-13
- Jetty 8-9
- Glassfish 2-4
Vaadin 8 supports the JSR-286 Portlet specification and all portals that implement the specification should work. The following portals are supported:
- Liferay Portal 6.2
- Liferay Portal 7.0
Vaadin Framework 8 supports the following desktop browsers. Our automated tests cover the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome:
- Mozilla Firefox 54+
- Mozilla Firefox ESR 52+
- Internet Explorer 11: latest
- EdgeHTML: latest
- Chromium Edge: latest
- Safari on Mac: 9+, latest
- Google Chrome: 59+, latest
Additionally, Vaadin supports the built-in browsers in the following mobile operating systems:
- iOS 9+
- Android 4+ with Chrome 42+