GWT EOL

I am working as senior software developer for one of the latest ERP vendors of the world.
Currently, just for learning java and Vaadin I rewrote the GUI of our integration server in Vaadin.
I am very happy and I show it to my boss. We discussed Vaadin and we are looking if we can make
the new GUI available for our customers. But we had a discussion about GWT. According to my boss
GWT is EOL. What does that mean for Vaadin? In our company we are strugeling finding the right web framework
for our standard development. Last year we created a complete new Sales and Operations Planning program completely
web based. Not in Java but in Spring and a internal created framework. But this framework is also tightly linked to GWT.

What are the plans if GWT will be EOL? What does that mean for Vaadin?

Chris

You should check out the
GWT presentation
tomorrow (Friday) at Google I/O. Things will be much clearer after that :slight_smile:

Can’t tell, but is that an online presentation we can all attend? If so, how to register for it?

I don’t know, sorry.

But I’ll link the press release here after we release it :slight_smile:

The cat is out of the bag: we will start offering support for GWT, and 7 will include it!

More info
here!

Edit:
press release

Very good!!!

what is the release data of Vaadin 7?

The current roadmap is always available at
https://vaadin.com/roadmap
. Vaadin 7.0.0 in scheduled for the beginning of October.

It will take a looong time before GWT will be EOL’ed because it’s open sourced, vast amount of developers depend on its features and frankly, what else would you use to do the job, hack plain JavaScript?

Dart is coming but it will take at least one year before companies can consider to use it for anything serious like building larger applications that require solid foundation and mature tools. I love what Google is doing, they really have pinpointed fundamental issues on scripting languages and taken actions to build better future for us developers. I hope Dart eventually succeeds.

Now, let’s toy with an idea what happens if GWT regresses into inferior solution and there’s some other technology, like Dart, that really is the next big thing on the browser space. What could happen is the following. Vaadin keeps the server-side API’s almost the same (=compatible) and re-write the client-side part of the Vaadin framework. For the users of Vaadin the migration from older version to newer is quite straightforward because API is almost the same. However, for any client-side code that you might have made (custom widgets, client-side application logic / JavaScript), these may need to be re-written. Still, when you are doing applications with Vaadin this should not be the case as >90% work is done against stable server-side API.

So, the good news is that Vaadin has two parts, the server-side and client-side. The server-side abstraction really helps us to keep up with the latest browser technologies without disrupting Vaadin users that much. Vaadin tries really hard to shield you from the storm and competition that happens on the browser space. Browser technologies are progressing rapidly and it gives lots of gray hair to us developers. Today it’s all about HTML5 / GWT and nobody knows what lies ahead tomorrow. As a history lesson, Vaadin’s server-side API has been very stable, but the client-side engine has been re-written three times on its 10 year history! Who says there won’t be a fourth time after X years have passed? :slight_smile:

This is terrific news. Our first iteration of Open eSignForms was also our first iteration using Vaadin. We took a rather straightforward UI approach, building tables and forms that mapped to objects/database. We look forward to Vaadin 7 as we’ll use that as an opportunity to rewrite our front-end to be more user/task-centric than object-centric.

Keep up the great work!

in my opinion google’s plan for gwt is to use dart as a replacement for java while keeping the code that should run on the client side (the javascript code) unchanged. my concern is about what happens if in the long run (from google perspective) dart replaces the java part of gwt and google stops developing gwt new ui javascript rich components wrapped in java and announces that from that moment on the new coolest gwt new ui javascript rich components will be available only if u choose to use the gwt dart version. developers who will choose to use the gwt java version won’t enjoy these new coolest components. assuming that happens, the gwt java version (i assume google rewrites gwt into dart keeping the javascript code unchanged) will become less attractive. as a result, vaadin that uses the gwt version in java will also be less attractive (unless vaadin will be rewritten into dart instead of java for the server part).

i will be very glad to know about your thoughts regarding a possible transition into dart developing a vaadin dart version?

Actually there is no plan for discontinuing GWT at Google - [urlhttps://vaadin.com/press/2012-06-29-vaadin-to-support-google-web-toolkit-gwt-development=]
quite the opposite
[/url].

We’ll release a comprehensive report on the state of GWT on Dec 4th.

So - there are no plans to replace GWT in Vaadin with Dart or anything else.