Important Notice - Forums is archived

To simplify things and help our users to be more productive, we have archived the current forum and focus our efforts on helping developers on Stack Overflow. You can post new questions on Stack Overflow or join our Discord channel.

Product icon
TUTORIAL

Vaadin lets you build secure, UX-first PWAs entirely in Java.
Free ebook & tutorial.

Vaadin Client-Side Updates

Ravi Hariharan
6 years ago Apr 07, 2016 2:32pm
Olli Tietäväinen
6 years ago Apr 12, 2016 12:11pm

Hi,

I don't know the specifics of your project, but I would at least try the standard server-side development approach first. A dynamic questionnaire sounds like a pretty much standard Vaadin server-side application. 

The client side programming model is much less convenient, meaning you will need to work a lot more to get results. I personally mostly do client-side programming when I need some specific JavaScript or DOM manipulation effect that's not yet supported by the framework or an add-on in the Directory. Unless you have a definite bottleneck you need to address, like a very slow network, doing all the work in client side will just rob you of most of the benefits of using the Vaadin framework.

To get familiar with client-side programming, I suggest taking a look at the add-ons in the Directory. The components there mostly have sources available and you can build them locally. You can also read more about client-side development in the Book of Vaadin.

Good luck!
Olli Tietäväinen
Vaadin developer