Vaadin Designer now available from Labs

I pulled a clean luna and tried installing there, same error. Interestingly enough, I installed the Vaadin IDE and, once I saw your reply, tried to install the designer and this time it seemed to work.

I say seemed to because although it shows up as an installed plugin, there is no “new->Vaadin Design” option that I can see…

Given that it’s a labs item, I’m not worried. Could be I’m using OS X, could be something completely different, but was interested in seeing how different it was from the IDE.

Note currently I’ve been transitioning to Intellij, but since I don’t want to hand-code all my layouts I guess I need to keep an eclipse around for at least initial layout…

Hi Dave,

The only time when Vaadin Design was missing from New was if I’d test the plugin installation process and somehow Eclipse didn’t install it correctly, or if I would uninstall it and install it several times. Otherwise we never had this issue. We are also developing it on Mac OS and it should work for you.

Can you please give us more details. OS version? Are you using the EE version of Luna? Can you try to install the plugin again, maybe uninstall it first, and send us the .log file in case it still won’t work.

Before installing the Designer plugin from Labs, please make sure the Vaadin plugin and E4 RCP Patch (bugzillas 445122) from http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/4.4 are installed and that you can create a Vaadin project.

As Sofia and Valery noticed as well, with a Maven project Designer is not working. This is still something we need to fix. So for now, please try it with a Vaadin project instead.

Cheers,
Bogdan.

Whilst addind the nature did it for Maven projects ;-).
More interesting: How often will you update the designer for Vaadin labs?
When will there be a 1.0 release?
What is the i18n strategy for designed views?
I’ve heared the rumer from the GWT.create, that the designer will become a comercial product. Is this true? How much will it cost and how log will it take?

Hello Everyone –

Great job on everything, I’ve been using your framework for a few months now.

I just installed Luna+Vaadin+VaadinDesigner and things work ok, I noticed some drawing issues when loading up html file, but as others have mentioned changing themes back and forth works around.

I have one question. Have you guys implemented a way of attaching events to these components in the designer? Or should I be creating another class to drive this, in which case I will be generating event code manually?

Thanks!
Scott

The latter. In the first version of the Designer you can not attach listeners within the Designer, instead it creates a “companion” Java class that exposes components from the design to Java. You can extend this class, or use it directly (e.g in a composition), to attach listeners manually. (We’re still accepting feedback on how this “companion” class should look, BTW.)

Best Regards,
Marc

Hi all! Another Question: Are the HTML Files Resources or application code? The question may sound strange, but in our maven project word there are the folders /src/main/java/… where the Java sources live and /src/main/resources/… where the resources reside. As of now the designed views (.html) are in the same package/folder as .java files. Our Jenkins/Maven is not happy with this and while building the war it removes the .html files from the java-directorie branch.

So which way to go: Changing Jenkins/Maven to leave the .html files where they are or put the html files in the resources directory (using the same folder (packages) structure as in the java directory branch…

I hope I do not confuse too much…

The Labs version has been updated fairly often lately, when it has made sense - it’s a lab, after all :slight_smile: Getting closer to Beta, RC and 1.0 I anticipate a more conservative release cycle.

Right now it looks like we’ll have a 1.0 at around end of march / beginning of april. We need time for a proper Beta/RC cycle before that to ensure quality.

There is no special I18N feature/helper in 1.0, you still have to hande that aspect in code for now.

And yes, we have decided to make the Designer commercial in order to really be able to make it awesome this time. As you have noticed, the old “Visual Designer” has been ignored for quite some time - we wanted to do a lot of things, but something else was always seemed important. Now we have a dedicated team working full time, and will continue to do so to deliver updates and future versions. We’re quite exited, and determined to make it rock.

The Designer will be included in your Pro Tools subscribtion, and a perpetual (“stand-alone”) license will be available for $389.
We should communicate this clearly in the forum and blog now that it’s decided - putting that on my TODO right now…

I also want to point out that there is still time to come with feedback, suggestions, opinions, and bugreports, so we can make the best possible Vaadin Designer for you. And if your suggestion does not make it time for 1.0, we still need to figure out what is most important for 1.x :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
Marc

I’d only be interested in purchasing if it had other IDE support, specifically Intellij. Right now I have Intellij up for development but an Eclipse floating around to render the initial layouts :frowning:

Interesting question…

Though you can basically have the declarative file anywhere you like, you’ll have to load it yourself - the Designer currently puts both files (the the declarative file and the Java “companion file” that wires up the component instances) in the same place.

If you have a suggestion how it should work in your case, please let us know, and we’ll see what we can do.

Best Regards,
Marc

Being gratefull for the accomplishment of the Eclipse based GUI Designer nicely demending IntelliJ version as well.

+1 for IntelliJ based Vaadin GUI Designer.

Requesting for Netbeans please.

It seems to me that we can create the HTML design from view file in vaadin designer, is this understanding right?

@Mortoza Khan, you must be the smartest kid in the classroom.

Well, yes ;-). Probably .html is not the best extension for the files… Probably .vtml would be better ;-).

Anyways: I thik the following scenario would be great! Let’s assume we have the following directory structure:

Patn 1: /src/main/java/my/foo/ui/designs
Path 2: /src/main/resources/my/foo/ui/designs

When I create a new design I would do this in path 1 and the designer will place .java and .html there. Now when I move the .html to path 2 everything should be fine and “Design.read(this);” should still work, because the .html file should be loaded via classloader and for the classloader both files are in the same package.
Now the only ting is, that the designer has to know, that the corresponding .java file is in the same package, but not in the identical directory - and handle this…

What do you think?

Regards,
Christoph

Feature Request: Automatically remove
caption=“”
from the code to avoid empty captions! This has been pia in the old designer alswell…

In addition I’d like to let you know, that I am currently building a REAL beast of a form with this designer covering an entire drugstore arcticle with all it’s attributes. Let me know if you are interested in the result… The design is about 40% finished and there are 71 vars in the java class already :slight_smile:

P.S.: A working GridLayout in the next Beta would be very helpful aswell, because I am stuck without it at the moment doh :frowning: :wink:

Another feature request: set dedicated to, left, right and bottom margins directly in the designer. This is an issue since the days of the old designer aswell :-). Regards, Christoph. P.S.: If there are more findings: Is the good’ol “trac” still in use for the new designer oder a JIRA or something like that?

Yes, you can report any issue regarding the new Designer in the Vaadin Trac at
http://dev.vaadin.com
. Just use the
Vaadin Designer
Component when reporting tickets and they’ll end up in the right place.

The Labs version of Vaadin Designer is free to download and use. A commercial version (included in your Pro Tools subscription) will be available later on in 2015 (H1).

For how long will the Labs version be available. How will the commercial version be different?

Now I have the lab version of Designer installed. This is supposedly free to download and use.

So why do I now need a “trial license” valid for only 30 days?

The Designer has just “graduated” from labs, and is now a part of the Vaadin Plug-in for Eclipse.

I think what happened is you updated your Eclipse plug-in, including the Vaadin Designer (Alpha) feature, which will then replace the Labs version.

If you want to stay on the Labs version should not install the “Alpha”
(or any other Designer update - the Labs version does not receive updates anymore).
However, I do not recommend this, and I think you’ll find the new version is vastly better than the Labs version.

I’m sorry this is not at all apparent when doing “check for updates” - I’ll see if we can make that more clear.
Thanks for letting us know!

Best Regards,
Marc