Touchkit 3 on Android 2.3?

I created a test app using Vaadin 7.0.0.rc2 and Touchkit 3.0.0-alpha4, added a couple views and compiled the widgetset. This all succeeded and I proceeded to test the app with different browsers.
It worked fine from my desktop using Chrome.
It failed from my desktop using IE
It worked fine from my tablet using Android 4.2 and chrome.
It failed from my phone running Android 2.3.3

I received the following error in Internet Explorer:

ERROR: Possible problem with your *.gwt.xml module file.
The compile time user.agent value (safari) does not match the runtime user.agent value (ie9). Expect more errors.

I received the following error in the browser on Android 2.3.3:

SyntaxError): Unexpected token < stack: SyntaxError: Unexpected token < at xjb ( at Object.gmb [as Kc]
( at lo ( at Object.Lo [as dc]
( at XMLHttpRequest. ( at Ac ( at Dc ( at XMLHttpRequest.onreadystatechange ( type: unexpected_token arguments: < - Original JSON-text: html>

I know this combination works perfectly for Touchkit 2, with the exception of IE which I haven’t tried, but the phone works perfectly.

Has the minimum requirements changed for Touchkit 3?

Is IE an unsupported browser?

or is this a bug that should be reported?


IE is Not supported by Touchkit and never has. Maybe there will be some Support once Windows phone gains some market share.

How about Android 2.3? Has that changed for Touchkit 3?

The Touchkit page ( states that it is supported but I don’t know if this page has been updated for v3 because it is still an alpha.

The data from the TouchKit-homepage is definitely for TouchKit 2.1 not 3.0. Didn’t find any information about Android 2.3 and TouchKit 3.0 (neither on the web, nor in the download-package). Support might be dropped.

I certainly would hope not.

Based on the numbers that I’ve been looking at, of the 1.3 billion smartphones on the market today, about 47% are Andriods (611 million). According to the Android developer site almost 48% of Androids on the market are running v2.3 (293 million). This would reduce the potential market penetration for Touchkit (on Android) by half to about 300 million phones if support for 2.3 is dropped. 2.3 is still running on low-end phones as well as some higher-end phones that are under contract so I don’t think we’ll see a big drop in that number for a couple years.

I appreciate your response but given the lack of information on minimum requirements for Touchkit 3 and the implications for dropping support for 2.3 I think I’d prefer not to speculate on this one and wait for a response from Vaadin.

I’m still hoping that this is just a bug in the alpha build and that all this is a non-issue.

yes I’m also interested in some official statement according the supported plattforms of TouchKit 3.


Unless something big happens, the browsers support will be the same as in TouchKit 2.X.

I just did a quick check with an ancient Samgsung Galaxy Tab tablet (running Android 2.2) we have as a testing device. Vornitologist (against V7 branch of TouchKit) started just fine, but is slow as h€||. There was also lots of bugs of which most exist on more modern Androids and ipads as well. It the 2.3 don’t even start, I’d be happy to investigate it further. What is the exact version of the device, do you have some other add-ons but TouchKit installed?


Hi Matti,

I am running Android 2.3.3 on an HTC Desire and the exact error is shown in my first post. It wouldn’t run in the native browser on my phone but it worked fine in Chrome on my notebook running Windows 8 and in Chrome on my Nexus 7 tablet running Android 4.2. There are no other add-ons, just Vaadin 7 and Touchkit 3.

Please don’t feel any time pressure on this. I am not being delayed by waiting on this issue… I am just trying to flush out any issues to provide you with feedback. I am trying to determine if I should be reporting this one as a bug. If the same browsers are supported for v3 then I suspect this may be a bug. The same combination works fine with Vaadin 6 and Touchkit 2.



I know you already went back to TouchKit 2-V6, but I just wanted to report. We now have HTC Desire in our “device lab”. Just tried out latest agains latest development builds and things start fine, but slow as h€ll (compared to TK2-V6).


Hi Matti,

You should check the version of Android on that phone. The factory default for an HTC Desire is Android 2.2 (API level 8). I’m fairly certain (although not 100%) that I had Touchkit 3 alpha 1 or 2 working with that phone but back in December I applied the HTC update for Android 2.3. This was the first time I tried to use touchkit with my phone since the upgrade. It worked for Touchkit 2 but not 3.

One more factor to consider… according to the Android developers website there are actually 2 different API levels for 2.3 releases. API level 9 is 2.3 - 2.3.2 and API level 10 is 2.3.3 - 2.3.7. Without digging into it further I don’t know if this would have any affect on widgetset compilation and the problem I am seeing. My phone is at version 2.3.3 and supposedly 47.4% of all Android installations are running versions 2.3.3 - 2.3.7. I would expect that Google ensured the compatibility of GWT with its most installed version of Android.

Now, as you know, I’ve been having trouble with widgetset compilation lately so there is a reasonable chance that this is just another symptom of that problem. With your help I’ve been gradually getting this problem under control so once that is fixed I’ll give it another try and get back to you.

Thanks for all your help…



Exact version of our Desire test device is 2.3.3, uses webkit 533.2.