I made a Social Media Wall for conferences with Java and Vaadin Flow

For the JavaLand conference (and other events) I developed a Social Media Wall to display messages and images from social media services like Mastodon. The wall can display the agenda conference, too. It shows the running sessions with the time left and (when there is enough space on the screen) the following sessions and when they start.

It is made to be shown on beamers and big screens at the venue and can be used in the session rooms between the talks. The wall will be used for the first time in less than two weeks at JavaLand at the NĂĽrburgring. I remember seeing Vaadin with a booth at JavaLand in the years before Corona. Will Vaadin be there again this year? The sponsors are much better placed and integrated at the NĂĽrburgring and also have a great view of the huge 45-meter-wide screen with the social media wall.

It’s not yet finished but the core functionality is working. The conference agenda is loaded from the JavaLand website and all posts on Mastodon with the #javaland hashtag are displayed and updated every minute. The attached screenshot is from the app running on my development machine.

Of course, I developed the project under an open source license (AGPL) and made it available on GitHub. Help is highly appreciated!

7 Likes

Nice work, thanks for sharing!

1 Like