Could not start XULRunner (version 1.9 or higher required)

Possibly the best solution is described here:

http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#specifyxulrunner

Quote:

you can set the value of java system property
org.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath
to the full path of a specific XULRunner to use. This property must be set before the first Browser instance is created.

The best opportunity for a user to set this property is by launching their application with a -D VM switch (eg.- add to the end of the eclipse.ini file:
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=…
).

I tried it, it doesn’t work, and it seems the problem
might be
with Vaadin Plugin and not with the Eclipse SWT.
Version 1.9.0 is ancient; and “xulrunner.exe --register-global” should not work since probably version 4…

Another possible solution is to try Eclipse ATF plugin (AJAX Toolkit) which includes XULRunner:

http://www.eclipse.org/atf/old/downloads/base_files/manualXulrunner_section.php

P.S. If you run Eclipse SWT 64-bit then you need XULRunner 64-bit… this explains everything.

http://www.eclipse.org/swt/faq.php#howdetectmozilla

Attempt to detect an OS-registered XULRunner with version 1.8.1.2 or newer (in order to enable JavaXPCOM use). Note that only XULRunner installations that are compiled for the same architecture as the running SWT will be considered.
Attempt to detect an OS-registered XULRunner with a version earlier than 1.8.1.2 (again,
the architecture must match that of SWT
).

I ran in to this issue not long ago…

According to the SWT
FAQ - Use Mozilla
, for windows x86 you can only use xulrunner versions 1.8.0.x - 3.6.x or 10.x and for x64 versions 1.9.2.x - 3.6.x or 10.x + visual c runtime.

You do not actually need to call xulrunner --register-global (as it is no longer available in xulrunner 5+).

Simply…

• unzip the xulrunner (I used version 10) to a folder like
    C:\xulrunner
    for example.
  • edit your eclipse.ini and add
    -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=C:/xulrunner

Restart eclipse and it should work. I tried a later version than 10 and that failed, so you really need to use one of the versions listed above.

You can also change the default SWT browser by setting the
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType
property. You can provide a comma separated list with one or more values like
mozilla,ie,webkit
or whatever you prefer.

I have the same problem .
When I try to open Vaadin Editor I have this error :
“Could not start XULRunner ( version 1.9 or higher required )
The editor might non function properly etc…etc…”

I have :

1)window 7 64-bit
2)Eclipes Juno
3)jdk1.6.0_38

I have already tried with each one of these three version 64 bit xulrunner that I found here
http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/Download :

•xulrunner-17.0.5.en-US.win64-x86_64.zip (ESR 17.0.5)
•xulrunner-10.0.10.en-US.win64-x86_64.zip (ESR 10.0.10. Require VC10 runtime)
•xulrunner.win64.20060304.zip

and I added this line into eclipse.ini :

-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=C:/Users/Public/xulrunner .

Nothing Worked I have always the same error .

Thanks in advance, Giuseppe

If on 64-bit Windows and you get the message,
don’t bother to try to install XULRunner
. Click past the message and see if the visual editor opens. It should fall back to embedded IE and work correctly with the recent versions of IE that you are likely to have installed on 64-bit Windows, so if it seems to work, just select “Don’t show this again” the next time you open the visual editor and it complains about XULRunner.

The message is there mostly because of older IEs and past versions of the plug-in did not work well together, as well as for some non-Windows environments.

If and only if
the visual editor does not work when clicking through the XULRunner dialog, first check whether it is
this known issue for Kepler on Win7
(this does not apply to Juno and older!). If not, note down the exact versions of Windows, Eclipse and the Vaadin plug-in for Eclipse as well as what version of IE you have installed and then post here or in our Trac. Also indicate what happens when clicking past the XULRunner dialog - an empty editor screen, an error message or something else. Check Eclipse Error Log view (Window → Show View… → Other… → Error Log) and include any relevant messages from there including their stack traces if any.

We should really get around to removing the dialog when on 64-bin Windows, I hope there is already a ticket about that.

Thanks very much for support .
I still have the same problem .
When I try to open Vaadin Editor I have the error in screen-shoot FirstError.png .
When I click on tab “design” of Vaadin Editor I have the error in screen-shoot SecondError.png :

I have :

1. Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1
  2. Vaadin Plug-in for Eclipse 2.0.1.201105170102
  3. Internet Explorer 9.0.8122.16421
  4. Eclipse Juno
    Version: Juno Service Release 1
    Build id: 20120920-0800

I didn’t find anything about these errors in (Window → Show View… → Other… → Error Log).

Thank in advance
Giuseppe
13101.png
13102.png

Does the Editor work after you click/close the messages?

You probably should upgrade your Vaadin plug-in for Eclipse to the latest version, though that does not seem to be the issue here.

The second message is caused by the class you are trying to edit not being visually editable. The visual editor does require a certain structure for the class to edit.

You can create a visually editable class with New… → Vaadin Composite. When editing the source code of such a class, you should not modify fields or methods tagged with @AutoGenerated.

No . The Editor doesn’t work after closing the error window message .

Did you try the two things I referred to?

First, upgrade the Vaadin plug-in.

Then, create a new class with the New… → Vaadin Composite wizard and try to open it in the visual editor before editing it by hand.
Not all classes are visually editable, the editor requires a certain structure from the class etc.

I tried to do what you told me . I have always the first error but I don’t have anymore the second error .
So I was able to open a new Vaadin Composite class with Vaadin editor .

vaadin developer where are you? I have the same issue for 4 month. I decided to try vaadin but with no success. I think it’s time to shift somewhere else. every body having the same issue don’t waste your time neither It wil not be solved nor an explanation will be given.

its very simple !
1.all we want to do is install XULRunner
which is available in
SourceForge

2.now u want to copy the installed location
for me it is “C:\Program Files\Mozilla XULRunner”
3.then in ecilipse ini
just add "-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath=C:\Program Files\Mozilla XULRunner "

KUDOS :slight_smile:

I’m Running Eclipse Kepler on Win7 64bit.
Just Solved the XULRunner problem by using epecifically the version 10

Download link:

http://wiki.mozilla-x86-64.com/images/Xulrunner-10.0.10.en-US.win64-x86_64.zip
(ESR 10.0.10. Require
VC10 runtime
)

Nothing worked - until I checked the exact version Fellipe has posted!

So in order to make the ugly xulrunner message go away (I am using Windows 7 x64, Eclipse Kepler 4.3.2 x64 and Java 8 x64) and even be able to use something else than DefaultType = IE, you should really attempt to use the 10.0.10 version of XulRunner.
For me it was relatively easy to figure out if it’d work or not: I just double-clicked “xulrunner.exe” and checked whether the version information was readable. Other versions than 10.0.10 were unreadable, but when I installed 10.0.10 and did that, it properly displayed the version number and Eclipse instantly discovered and used it (and so did the Visual Designer of Vaadin 7).

Thank you very much!

Hi everyone…I’m Earnest, a student From Nigeria…just got to know about this awesome framework called Vaadin in the software company where I’m presently on internship…I need someone to help me resolve an issue with the visual editor…Eclipse complains all the time about getting one XULRunner installed on my system for proper functioning of the visual editor…I use windows OS…Please I need help…

its works for me

Sadly, any posible solution worked for me. I´m working with:
Windows 8
64 bits
STS (Eclipse Luna)
Vaadin plugin Eclipse 2.3.2.201

The below image is what I get when I tried to open a Vaadin composite

Any help will be appreciated!
18960.png

I found the problem. First explain that after I installed the Vaadin Plugin in STS, the STS don show the green loading window with the STS logo but the Eclipse Luna and also appear a eclipse.exe executable if I tried to open the STS.exe file it doesnt open the composite in the designer but if I open the eclipse.exe executable it WORKS!

I supposed this happens because STS executable don read the eclipse.ini file

After upgrading, in Eclipse Mars.2, from a previously installed and correctly running version to Vaadin Desiger 1.4.2 I now get the message “Could not start XULRunner (version 1.9 or higher required)”.

Was using Vaadin Designer before with XULRunner 1.9.2 installed with no troubles. Suddenly it complains and doesn’t open Vaadin designs anymore with designer.

What can I do?

34608.jpg

Hi Michael,

From your screenshot, I could say that the message comes from our old plugin. Could you please uninstall the plugin and then reinstall it from https://vaadin.com/eclipse? The upgrading may still keep some stale code from the legacy plugin. Nowadays, XULRunner is not used in Vaadin Designer anymore. Please also check in your “Installation details → Installed software” if you have somethings like “Visual Designer of Vaadin”, please uninstall it, it is the legacy one which is not supported anymore.
I hope this can help you.
Regards,
​Tien.