Important Notice - Forums is archived

To simplify things and help our users to be more productive, we have archived the current forum and focus our efforts on helping developers on Stack Overflow. You can post new questions on Stack Overflow or join our Discord channel.

Product icon
TUTORIAL

Vaadin lets you build secure, UX-first PWAs entirely in Java.
Free ebook & tutorial.

hosting itmill / java applications

Anonymous Anonymous
1 decade ago Jul 07, 2008 12:49pm
Anonymous Anonymous
1 decade ago Jul 07, 2008 2:25pm
Joonas Lehtinen
1 decade ago Jul 08, 2008 5:41am
Joonas Lehtinen
1 decade ago Jul 08, 2008 6:58am
Anonymous Anonymous
1 decade ago Jul 08, 2008 7:15am
Joonas Lehtinen
1 decade ago Jul 08, 2008 7:27am
Marc Englund
1 decade ago Jul 10, 2008 7:45am
Anonymous Anonymous
1 decade ago Jul 10, 2008 8:20pm
Jouni Koivuviita
1 decade ago Jul 20, 2008 4:32pm
Houman Atashbar
1 decade ago May 29, 2009 7:23am
Dmitri Livotov
1 decade ago May 29, 2009 7:38am
Joonas Lehtinen
1 decade ago May 29, 2009 8:05am

Dmitri L Livotov: Why not just to use GWT for this ? It's API is quite fine for quick application building. The only thing, I suppose, is to make Vaadin UI components available for easy client-side usage, but as they depends on datasource linking and lazy loading mechanism and thus server-side, this might be a not an easy task.

I think this is just what Jouni was proposing. Building an independent API for Vaadin client-side widgets has been on our TODO for a (too) long time. Unfortunately it is a non-trivial thing to do. Some of the more complex components (like Table) should be redesigned to support use without server.

While I would love to see this done, I find it more important to get more good Vaadin components that to make the current ones useable "without" Vaadin.

Back to hosting: Currently the only free Java hosting service (to my knowledge) is Google AppEngine. We are working to get it supported: http://dev.vaadin.com/ticket/2835

Amazon EC2 is currently a perfect hosting place for "serious" Vaadin apps. For example http://demo.vaadin.com/ is running on EC2. The only problem with EC2 is that the smallest unit you can buy is one server - costing 70 USD / month...

We are eager to hear about Suns cloud offering next Monday - I hope they will have more sane session management that Google AppServer and could sell smaller pieces of servers than Amazon.

Henry Hagnäs
1 decade ago May 29, 2009 1:18pm

houman001 : Has anyone tried GoDaddy's Deluxe plan that costs 6.64/mo?
This is the cheapest plan in which support for Java is included.
I used to know people (especially in the united states) who were using GoDaddy.

There are very little details on the GoDaddy-site on the extent of the Java-support they deliver. Have you found any more details about it?

One cheaper and more lightweight alternative to EC2 is using a virtual private server which GoDaddy does sell, personally I use Linode for my personal small projects and I can definitely recommend them if you have experience with Linux.

The problem with Java-hosting is that it requires abit more power and flexibility than most cheap shared-webhosting people can offer.

Ville Mattila
1 decade ago Jun 01, 2009 5:27am
Dmitri Livotov
1 decade ago Jun 01, 2009 10:38am

Will add my 2 cents. We're using Gandi (www.gandi.net) for both production and test(pilot) web applications hosting. Gandi provides Xen-enabled personal virtual server (like Amazon does) but automates process of installation and configuration via its Gandi AI feature, which makes server setup and OS installation/configuration easy and completely automated. Since Gandi sells so called CPU units, it is possible to make low budget servers for as low as (approx) 10 usd/month or so, increasing the power / memory on the fly when necessary, which suits well for demo/low footprint web apps.