Important Notice - Forums is archived

To simplify things and help our users to be more productive, we have archived the current forum and focus our efforts on helping developers on Stack Overflow. You can post new questions on Stack Overflow or join our Discord channel.

Product icon
TUTORIAL

Vaadin lets you build secure, UX-first PWAs entirely in Java.
Free ebook & tutorial.

Why use Netbeans?

Jet Beray
9 years ago Jun 01, 2012 7:36am
Jens Jansson
9 years ago Jun 01, 2012 9:54am

I think it is completely and utterly a case of personal preferences. I use Eclipse, but has been working with eclipse when I've been doing some work on others' computers. I am quite lost in Netbeans because I don't know all the keyboard shortcuts that I know in Eclipse (like ctrl+alt+r for rename, ctrl+shift+o for organize imports, ctrl+alt+arrows to jump between files etc. etc.). I bet they are all there but I would have to relearn everything. I bet the same thing is for people moving from Netbeans to Eclipse.

Also, everything that the Eclipse Vaadin plugin does, can also be done for hand. If you know your way around Vaadin, you will manage without it. I started using Vaadin at a time when there was no IDE integration.

Andreas Lüdtke
9 years ago Jun 01, 2012 11:05am

@Godfrey:
I don't miss the Visual Editor in the NetBeans IDE. If you are a bit familiar with Swing layouts, you really don't need it.

@Jens:
You can easily switch NetBeans to an Eclipse Keymap handling :) So there's no excuse not to give NetBeans a try....

Last updated on Jun, 1st 2012
Jet Beray
9 years ago Jun 04, 2012 6:01am
Damir Demirovic
5 years ago Mar 08, 2017 7:56am

I've started with Eclipse since it seemed to be more popular, but after i've switched to Netbeans, i've actually realized how slow and buggy Eclipse is. So for me Netbeans gives better performance and it gives me stability.

Gunnar Swan
5 years ago Apr 04, 2017 9:49pm
Jet Beray
4 years ago Aug 03, 2017 12:09am
Ben Wilson
4 years ago Nov 21, 2017 5:00pm