Creating new Vaadin projects for Eclipse & Maven

I want to create a new Vaadin project which I can later enhance and run from Eclipse. At the same time the project should be a Maven project which can also be compiled and built using Maven commands from the CLI.
In order to test the project I use a Tomcat 8 server wich is started from Eclipse.
Should not be that difficult, but…

Short description

Using the Eclipse plugin of Vaadin the project is run without problems but the project uses Ivy so is not in the Maven project structure.
Creating the project by Maven (either in the CLI or using the Maven plugin for Eclipse) the structure is OK but the project does NOT run under Tomcat (even though it runs under jetty).

Detailed description

Creating a Vaadin project by Maven:
mvn -B archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=com.vaadin -DarchetypeArtifactId=vaadin-archetype-application -DarchetypeVersion=7.6.8 -DgroupId=org.test -DartifactId=vaadin-app -Dversion=1.0-SNAPSHOT

As I said, project has correct structure and it runs under
mvn jetty:run-war

But under Tomcat I get the following error message:
“Failed to load the widgetset:
/VAADIN/widgetsets/Vaadin_17.Vaadin_17.MyAppWidgetset/Vaadin_17.Vaadin_17.MyAppWidgetset.nocache.js?1728949573637”

There are some postings on the net about this problem like
https://vaadin.com/forum#!/thread/2541089
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21066550/vaadin-failed-to-load-widgetset-nocache-js
The measseures suggested there are

1. Delete that snippet of code out of the web.xml
  2. mvn vaadin:update-widgetset install
  3. Compile Widgetset in Eclipse
    but none worked for me.
  4. There is no web.xml in the project created by Maven (there is one in the project created by the Eclipse plugin of Vaadin, though)
    2 and 3 do not eliminate the problem

I also tried
mvn vaadin:clean
mvn vaadin:update-widgetset
mvn vaadin:compile
but this didn’t help too…

BTW the small demo programs created in both ways differ slightly.
The program created by the Vaadin/Eclipse plugin contains a button which creates labels.
The program created by Maven contains also a textfield for the user name.
Also: the pom.xml created using Maven is 4-5 times bigger than the pom.xml created by the Vaadin plugin for Eclipse.

I would really appreciate very much any help!

Problem solved as follows:

1. Create a Vaadin project by Maven like this:
    mvn -B archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=com.vaadin -DarchetypeArtifactId=vaadin-archetype-application -DarchetypeVersion=7.6.8 -DgroupId=org.test -DartifactId=vaadin-app -Dversion=1.0-SNAPSHOT
    (or use the Maven plugin for Eclipse)
  2. Edit the created pom.xml and uncomment the dependency for vaadin-client-compiler
  3. Compile Widgetset in Eclipse
  4. Wait a while for the project to build and run it on the Tomcat server

I hope the next version of the Vaadin plugin for Eclipse is soon in a productive state, it looks very promising:
https://vaadin.com/docs/-/part/framework/getting-started/getting-started-first-project.html