what triggers detach

I guess this question applies to all versions of Vaadin, but for now I am asking about Vaadin 7. What triggers the detach? In my case, I close a browser window, but the corresponding UI is not “detached” until I shut down the entire VaadinSession with VaadinSession.invalidate(). I wanted it to be detached sooner. I tried catching the onunload and onbeforeunload events, but of course those can be tricky. So maybe understanding when the detachment occurs would help me find another solution to my problem.

I assume you mean UI detach specifically? The JavaDoc of the method says:

/**
     * Called before the UI is removed from the session. A UI instance is
     * detached exactly once, either:
     * <ul>
     * <li>after it is explicitly {@link #close() closed}.
     * <li>when its session is closed or expires
     * <li>after three missed heartbeat requests.
     * </ul>
     * <p>
     * Note that when a UI is detached, any changes made in the {@code detach}
     * methods of any children or {@link DetachListener}s that would be
     * communicated to the client are silently ignored.
     */

although the “after three missed heartbeat requests” line is a bit vague; I think there needs to be another request after the missed heartbeats to trigger the detaching, otherwise the session needs to expire.

-Olli

OK, first step is to do a simple experiment: Login to my website on two browser tabs ( so same VaadinSession, different UIs ), close one of the tabs, and see how long it takes to “detach” that corresponding UI. If the heartbeat actually works and the document is accurate, it should “detach” after about 15 minutes ( based on the default heartbeat settings ).

My goal is to detach it as quickly as possible so I can, in my “onDetach” method, cleanup some resources connected to that UI. But maybe I am being too hasty, maybe the heartbeat does what I want, just takes longer than I was expecting.

Ok, if I wait 15+ minutes, “detach” is called. It is not 15 minutes exactly, of course, probably because of timing issues. So I guess this answers my question. I could reduce the heartbeat interval, as per the documentation, but this is such a weird situation ( user closes browser without logging out ) that I don’t think it is worth it.

Users close browsers without logging off routinely around here. We tried training, but it’s amazing how closing tabs/browsers is the default way to dismiss it when done.

Closing browser windows is perfectly logical from a user perspective, albeit irritating to us developers, and probably unsafe in many cases.

What I find shocking is that you can find stackoverflow posts at least as far back as 2009 asking how to know when the browser window/tab closes, and yet browsers are still resistant to that, or inconsistent in the handling of onunload. Granted, people tried to use onunload incorrectly ( to stop users from leaving page or popup a “are you sure” message ), instead of using onbeforeunload, but that is a separate issue. In my case, onunload worked in Eclipse debugging, but then stopped working on the server. Currently decided to just depend on the heartbeat timeout. Not as speedy, but works OK.