W3C Accessibility

Hi all,

I use Vaadin last few days and it seems a very good framework !

Except that accessibility for people with disabilities doesn’t appear to be supported

If i put the source code of one page developped with vaadin in the W3C Validator http://validator.w3.org/check

This error appears :
Line 7, Column 14: there is no attribute “scroll”

So the code is not W3C valid.

Another important criteria on accessibility is to propose an alternative if the user disables Javascript on his browser.
In this case, nothing works,no alternative is proposed by vaadin …

Thank you for your reply

Keyboard navigation support is quite currently, but I bet there’s lots to improve how screen readers parse Vaadin applications.

Code validation, as far as I know, doesn’t affect accessibility that much. As long as the rendering engine is able to parse the HTML code, all is well. And Vaadin works in all modern browsers, so I wouldn’t worry about the validation too much. Of course that’s one area we can always improve on, but IMO it’s not a high priority with these kinds of frameworks. But I’m open to persuasion, I once wanted all Vaadin code to be semantic and validated, but have since relapsed :slight_smile:

I might remember wrong, but older Vaadin versions (then called IT Mill Toolkit) had support for this. It was called WebAdapter (while the current generation is/was called AjaxAdapter). But I might remember wrong, and JavaScript is required even there.

In fact there were support for operation without javascript in versions 3-4. You could even use Vaadin (Millstone) apps in a text browser like lynx. Using an application on green screen was quite an experience. Unfortunately I can not see that as a solution for the accessibility problem as old non-javascript theme (XSLT) and web adapter are not compatible with Vaadin 6. If one wants to try them out and maybe port to Vaadin 6, you can find it at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/millstone/

So did this ever get solved? We need to satisfy accesibility requirements being that we are a government organization.
I also see that there was a ticket about this but it seems to be closed. #6176

Dear All,

We are using Vaadin 7 and working for a goverment organization. they are asking if Vaadin is W3C A or AA compatible.
is there an answer for that question ?

thank you,
gdt