Vaadin apps in Google Wave gadgets

Hi,

Embedding Vaadin apps in Google waves is surprisingly trivial (sorry for the ginormous screenshot):

You need to deploy your app somewhere (eg. Google app engine works fine) and publish a simple
gadget specification
that points at the app. After that you can just add the gadget by the XML URL to a wave.

Sample gadget specification:

<Module>
  <ModulePrefs title="inline_external_page" height="350" width="1280"/>
  <Content type="html">
    <div id="main">
      <span>Vaadin Sampler embedded in a Wave gadget</span>
      <iframe name="check" id="check" src="http://demo.vaadin.com/sampler/" width="100%" height="100%" frameborder="0" />
    </div>    
  </Content>
</Module>

A good place to publish gadget specifications is the Google Gadget Editor.

Running your application in an iframe sounds like cheating :wink: Is that the way google wave is recommending to add widgets?

OTOH - iframe gives a clear separation between wave and widget - no CSS/GWT/… conflicts.

Yes, the gadgets are displayed in a iframe anyway, so I believe (after a half hour investigation - I could be wrong) that this is the easiest way to do it.

Has anyone come up with some cool use cases with Wave + Vaadin? Would be nice to come up with some way to make use out of Wave’s way of interactivity. Share your ideas if you have some!

I’d like to try, but I need a Wave invite. Hint, hint. :slight_smile:

Scott

Heh, me either, so I can’t provide you with one. Did you find the forum by searching for Wave invites? :wink:

Actually, it was the other way around. I was looking for web UI toolkits and saw “Wave” mentioned in the forum here!

Scott