Vaadin 7 Google App Engine Problems

Hey community,

for the last few days i desperately try to get a Vaadin 7 Project on Google App Engine and i can’t for the live of me get it to work. I use Eclipse Luna(with the eclipse Plug-In for Eclipse and the Google Plug-In for Eclipse) and Vaadin 7.3.8. I used the Vaadin Wizard to create the project.

The resulting project without any modification threw a bunch of exception that didn’t stop the application from running (they seem to be about Atmosphere) when I tried it by Run on Server > Google App Engine Development Server.

When I added the coding for the project sometimes it loads the initial UI and shows a Communication Problem on Interaction with it and sometimes it will throw a NotSerializableException on the UI class. Sometimes it also doesn’t fully load and only shows the spinning loading indicator.

When i try to Google > Deploy to AppEngine it fails saying the project is not an AppEngine Project.

I tried it several times now with different web.xml settings, different coding but nothing worked.
I ran out of ideas now and for the time deployed it on the Jelastic Vaadin Cloud which worked without problem but i don’t really trust their “free unlimited trail”.

Does someone has any idea if there are any problems with that release or if i’m doing something wrong?
If you need more information please let me know.

Hi Marius,
I’m newbie in Vaadin and i’m not sure that can help you, but i followed this
and it’s works for me.

Sry for the late reply but i looked at what was different in the tutorial to what i was doing already. After that i was able to deploy to App Engine but not able to load the application. In the logs i was getting a few exceptions having to do with atmosphere not being able to load and after doing a ?restartApplication I get only one com.vaadin.server.ServiceExceptiontelling me that my UI class can not be loaded.

You could try removing the vaadin-push jar from the build

Here are the steps I followed to configure Vaadin 7 in GAE (based on this

  1. Install Eclipse Luna EE (
  2. Install Vaadin 7 plugin from Eclipse MarketPlace
  3. Install GAE plugin (
  4. Create New Vaadin 7 project

  1. Click on the button “Modify…” to change settings and click “Next”

  1. Change “Default output folder” and click “Next”

  1. Click “Next”

  1. And finally click “Finish”. Then we will have created the project

  1. Right click the project and click properties. Then select “Use Google App Engine”

  1. The project has errors. To solve them, press the right button on the error and click on the “Quick Fix” option

  1. Select “Synchronize …” and click “Finish”

  1. Add tag threadsafe to appengine-web.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<appengine-web-app xmlns="">
    <!-- Configure java.util.logging -->
        <property name="java.util.logging.config.file" value="WEB-INF/"/>
  1. Disable push support on ivy.xml
        <!-- Push support -->
        <!-- <dependency org="com.vaadin" name="vaadin-push" rev="&vaadin.version;" /> -->
  1. Select compile theme from the Vaadin menu in Eclipse
  2. Export the project as a war file (which is actually a zip file with a different file extension).
  • Then take all libs from the /WEB-INF/lib folder of the archive and stuff them in the /war/WEB-INF/lib folder of your project.
  • You do not really need to do it with all jar files, only with the ones loaded trough Ivy. But it is just faster to take them all.
  • This has to be repeated if you add new stuff to the ivy file
  1. Now, you should now be able to deploy this GAE

The code for this example is here:

And the app is deployed on