Problems when trying to use Addons / Compiling GWT Widgets

Hello,

I’m trying out a quick sample of Vaadin and I am attempting to use certain Addons.

I started out my spike by creating a vaadin archetype project in maven:

mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeGroupId=com.vaadin -DarchetypeArtifactId=vaadin-archetype-clean -DarchetypeVersion=LATEST -DgroupId=org.example  -DartifactId=vaadin-example -Dversion=1.0 -Dpackaging=war

This created a project using Vaadin 6.5.1

The very next thing I did was try to “mvn jetty:run”, but I got an error about “ResourceCollection.setResourceAsCSV(…) threw exception”.
To fix that, I commented out the “baseResource” element in the maven-jetty-plugin webAppConfig. Once I did that, mvn jetty:run worked fine and served the page.

Next, I wanted to use an Addon. I decided to try the “ConfirmDialog” Addon.

<dependency>
       <groupId>org.vaadin.addons</groupId>
       <artifactId>confirmdialog</artifactId>
       <version>1.1.0</version>
    </dependency>

I added the dependency to the pom and put a ConfirmDialog on my window, and when I deployed the site, I saw a ConfirmDialog on the page. Pretty neat!

Next, I wanted to try using the “TreeTable” Addon (http://vaadin.com/directory#addon/vaadin-treetable).
I grabbed the dependency and dropped it in my pom,.

<dependency>
        <groupId>org.vaadin.addons</groupId>
       <artifactId>vaadin-treetable</artifactId>
       <version>1.1.0</version>
    </dependency>

I added some code to put a TreeTable on the page, and when I tried to hit the page, I saw the following error on the page:

I read somewhere that I needed to compile the widget modules, so I uncommented some configuration in the pom that was already commented out (this was generated from the archetype). I uncommented the following things:

• The gwt-maven-plugin (2.1.0-1)
  • The vaadin-maven-plugin (1.0.1)
  • The pluginRepositories for those plugins
  • A dependency on com.google.gwt:gwt-user (2.1.1)

I then tried running mvn vaadin:update-widgetset, and got the following message:

I then edited the vaadin-maven-plugin to have the following: (there was already a configuration node in the executions element, but I pulled it up to the plugin level because I don’t think the configuration was supposed to be in the execution)

<configuration>
          <modules>
            <module>non-existing-module</module>
          </modules>
        </configuration>

After that, mvn vaadin:update-widgetset gave the following output:

Maven reported the build was successful, and it looks like it found the treetable widget set, but I’m not sure what the the Error was.

I decided to see what would happen if I tried to do a mvn gwt:compile, and got the following output:

This didn’t seem good.

So my question is
: how can I use the TreeTable Addon? (Step by Step instructions are best)

A secondary question is: why did the ConfirmDialog Addon work right away, and the TreeTable Addon seems to require all this additional setup?

I listed all the steps I took in case someone wanted to follow exactly what I had done, and see the errors on their own machine. I have also attached a zip of the project - just the pom and the source - in case someone wants to see if I’ve configured something wrong.

Thanks very much,
André
11612.zip (4.65 KB)

We still haven’t been able to figure out how to compile addon components, but we ended up just downloading the source from the addon repository and yanking the /VAADIN folder from it, and copying the /VAADIN folder into our project.