Is there any way to trigger the autocomplete on date fields?

When clicking on a field, or pressing the down arrow, an autocomplete field appears however I can’t seem to find a way to do this for the date fields. Is it possible, and if so does anyone know how this can be done?

Do you mean the autocomplete from the browser?

Something along the lines of the autocomplete for the description field in the screenshot below but for DatePicker fields.

autocomplete2

If you enter the DatePicker field the DatePicker opens so I don’t see how autocomplete could be helpful

That’s the challenge. They are the same hotkey. The use case is that I may have a lot of entries with similar dates that aren’t all exactly the same (or even around the same time), possibly clusters, and it would be nice to have the ability to select from say the last 5 entered dates entered rather than having to manually enter the dates each time. Similar to how the textfields and so on work, and for the same reasons. It’s a nicety. I didn’t see an option to do it, and I suspect it’s most likely because there isn’t because the calendar overrides it, but I figured I’d ask just in case.

The completion you see on the text field comes from the browser but this is probably not what you want.

I assume you are looking for something like this

Am I right?

I was looking at that too. I think the browser is ample for most of my use cases. It’s more really just the date fields at this point. I just have a decent enough amount of users who’ve been using the software for many years (as in decades) over many versions that need to enter in similar dates many times, and that the older versions, going back to Vaadin 8 and even as far back as the Java Swing version, had autocomplete capabilities on the date fields whereas this is no longer possible in Vaadin Flow. One of the pros and cons of long term customers is that some users will notice if a feature is no longer available at some point, even if it’s been many years. It’s a good problem to have.

I understand. I suggest to open an issue Issues · vaadin/web-components · GitHub

I doubt that the team can do anything reasonable here.

Suggestion: Implement something on top of the date fields helper slot which contains something like “recommendations: YYYY-MM-DD, …” Those dates are just inlined buttons that fill the field.