How to do column based filtering on back-end data set...

Pretty much all the filtering examples I see use java 8 predicates, which are not solutions for filtering large back-end data sets, and I don’t see any examples that have implemented generic column filtering of JPA entities. Do I need to re-write the v7 filtering API or write a completely custom JPA filtering API? I don’t see any other way to enable generic column filtering of a large back-end data set.

Hi,

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “generic column filtering”. Can you elaborate a bit on that? Are you interested in lazy-loading examples with filtering for the Grid class or another component?

By generic column filtering I mean - adding a filter field above any given (generic) column without having to hard code its presence. e.g. the way filters worked in vaadin 6/7. As far as I can tell, the older filtering API doesn’t exist. That filtering API allowed containers to handle filters in an OO fashion. Allowing the containers to decide how to handle the filters. I.e. JPA containers handled them by filtering JPA criterias. I don’t see any way to do that with Vaadin 8. Do I need to create that filter API myself? All the examples use predicates, and predicates contain logic, not filter information, so you can’t use them to filter a lazy loaded container.

So yes, lazy loading / filtering is what im interested in, but im specifically talking about adding filters to grid columns and handling them generically, as opposed to hard coding every single filter.