hotswapagent stopped working

I have been using hotswapagent successfully for the last couple of weeks, and this morning it just stopped working. I have verified that my setup has not changed, and that everything still is in place as before:

• using jetbrains jdk 17.0.7 to start the application
  • agent jar 1.4.2-SNAPSHOT is present and loading:
Connected to the target VM, address: '127.0.0.1:48437', transport: 'socket'
HOTSWAP AGENT: 13:19:59.113 INFO (org.hotswap.agent.HotswapAgent) - Loading Hotswap agent {1.4.2-SNAPSHOT} - unlimited runtime class redefinition.```
- recompiling a class results in log output indicating that it is working:
```[87.612s][info][redefine,class,load ] redefined name=com.example.application.views.test.IdentificationView, count=4 (avail_mem=2102172K)
HOTSWAP AGENT: 13:29:02.224 INFO (org.hotswap.agent.plugin.spring.scanner.XmlBeanRefreshCommand) - Executing XmlBeanDefinitionScannerAgent.reloadClass('com.example.application.views.test.IdentificationView')
  • app is started in debug mode
  • code changes become only visible when i do a complete restart of the app

I recently let Intellij do its update, now using Build #IU-232.8660.185, built on July 26, 2023 , but i cannot imagine this could be causing trouble somehow?

Anyone else seeing this ?

:egg: in my face, I had added @PreserveOnRefresh for demo purposes and forgot to remove it. The Vaadin doc on hotswapagent mention this caveat. It’s working “again” now :smiling_face_with_tear:

Hi Jorg, good that you found the reason. Thanks for asking.