Hilla + jOOQ?

Hi, I just watched “Do you really need Hibernate?” by Simon Martinelli - which was really interesting! Highly recommend watching it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykoUBctblno

I have a Hilla project which I’m planning on rewriting using jOOQ instead of JPA - is it possible to to only use jOOQ? Does anyone have a link to docs that would be useful?

Also, I couldn’t find anything in the docs regarding this but I’d like to create a Hilla project without the included react components/dependencies - is there way to do this? I remember reading it somewhere but can’t for the life of me find it again, it was an extra flag when generating the project :thinking:

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

I think it should be possible. We have some components like AutoGrid which assume SpringData in use, but most parts the framework should be rather agnostic to how you implement your data layer in backend.

Right, I thought so! I’m not planning on using any of the included components and will mostly be building them myself or using shadcn etc

I would recommend to research our Lumo component library and design system. It will give you great help when developing the app.

Thank you! You certainly can use just jOOQ
But why not use the Vaadin components? They are excellent!

Wow! I didn’t know you were active in this discord! Congratulations on becoming a Java Champion!:partying_face:

No I agree, they’re great! But I would like more flexibility in regards to the styling and I’m also not a paying customer so I don’t have access to some of the components that I would like. Instead of using a mix of Vaadin components and my own ones I would prefer to have it all “controlled”?

Thank you very much!
Beside jOOQ I’m a huge fan of Vaadin.

Which pro components are you thinking of? You can go very far without those. And what other component set would you use instead?
Vaadin components are consistent in styling, and all are accessible. I don’t know any better component set.

Rich text editor, charts and crud mainly :slightly_smiling_face:
I’m a big fan of using Radix UI combined with TailwindCSS for my components - but for RTE and Charts I’m using Tanstack charts and TipTap for RTE

Instead of the RichTextEditor I use TinyMCE. The crud stuff are just a few lines of code and for Charts I started to use Google Charts recently

I don’t like TailwindCSS as those don’t create components but just a bunch of CSS classes

For me a component has an interface and an internal implementation.

I’ve heard good things about TinyMCE, might have to give it a go!
Oooh, I didn’t know Google Charts was a thing - thank you! Will check it out :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s fair! To be fair, I havn’t used Tailwind in a proffesional setting - only in hobby projects. I can imagine Tailwind gets… messy :grimacing:

Alright, I see - what are your thoughts on Shadcn/ui?

Those are kind of components. But when looking at the Table it’s a no-go.

I really prefer Webcomponents.