Decorated tooltip to show search results in grid

I know it’s not yet possible to have a decorated tooltip on the grid over the cells the mouse is hovering to for example be able to show why the current row is part of the search results, but does anyone know if there’s any timelines for this? I also didn’t see anything in the addons directory. And if it’s a while away what are others doing right now to help highlight why a row is in the search results other than just appearing?

Hmm… it is already possible? Grid | Components | Vaadin Docs

Alternative solution is some complex lit template based grid columns that use the mark-html markup combined with some JS Kung Fu to highlight the matching words.

I know there was a ticket for a decorated tooltip on the grid but I can’t find it any more. If I remember correctly there was a decent amount of requests for it. I just can’t find the ticket any more…

Ideally it would be great if the tooltip could just include things like spans, css, and so on. Basically the ability to drop a raw Html() component onto it (or even Component). That would save having to do all kinds of JS kung fu and keep everything as simple Vaadin Flow Java components.

I know there’s been talk and requests for it, I just can’t seem to find any updates. This would be very helpful because it can be hard to know why a row in a grid is part of the search results.

It’s not as easy as it sounds. Accessible has to be taken into account, making such things a bit harder.

The most recent issue similar to your request might be Popover component · Issue #5271 · vaadin/platform · GitHub

1 Like

That is exactly what I’m looking for. I thought there was a bigger discussion but it couldn’t in another ticket that eventually referenced that one because I see I already upvoted it. In any case please don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s easy. And I can appreciate that making it accessible makes it that much more challenging. I’m just saying that this would be a great feature to have. Especially for anyone wanting to add search on a grid.