New to Vaadin: What is equivalent of including header/footer pages?

Hi,

Coming from the JSP world, what is the equivalent way of developing and reusing header and footer components/views?

So if I want some sort of navigation at the top (which might include/use other pieces depending on received clicks), and then say a “standard” footer with things like “Help”, “Contact”, etc… how do I do this with Vaadin?

I know I can use something like BorderLayout, but if I want to resuse header and footer elements across the application, how would I accomplish this?

Thanks.

Les

Hello Les,

This is very well possible with Vaadin, Please have a look at
Navigator
framework.

You can add an header and a footer and let the middle layer/view be your views which would be displayed based on your action!

Thanks,
Krishna.

Hi Krishna,

Thank you. I did look at Navigator for the views, but evidently didn’t look far enough for header and footer support. I’ll go take a look at that.

Thanks.

Les

Hello Les,

As I don’t know what your requirement is just go with what is best for your App. At an high level, this is how your app layout would look like -

• HeaderLayout
  • View Layout
  • FooterLayout

Where HeaderLayout usually consists of all your components like app name, navigation bar etc etc kind of stuff, on click of which an appropriate view layout would be rendered and Footer layout consists messages like copyright, version of app etc.

Coming to ViewLayout which would technically be a floating layout, where content is rendered based on URI fragment.

Is this what you are looking at?

Thanks,
Krishna.

Hi Krishna,

Yes, that is the basic “layout” I’m envisioning. I just started to look at the link on Navigator.

Thanks again.

Les