Vaadin Charts - data interpolation question

I am running an app with Vaadin 7.2 and Charts 1.1.4. We have collected RRD data at one minute intervals which I want to display. If I load one hour’s worth of data, it shows me the 60 data points. If I select 24 hours, I load the 1400+ data points but since my chart window is less than 1400 pixels wide, it does some interpolation to show the graph - that is fine.

Now if I take the graph slider and ‘dive’ into the graph, I can pick a timeframe that is 2 hours, or 20 minutes wide - across the entire chart. But the data that gets shown does not look to be the complete data set - it shows me a data point every 5 or 7 minutes, even though there is now plenty of pixel space to show every data point in the smaller time window.

Is it possible for the timeline to show more detailed data points when you dive down into the chart? Am I doing something wrong here? Do I need to manually reload the data to correspond to the smaller time window somehow?

Thanks,

nbc

Hi,

Is this the older “Timeline” component in Vaadin Charts that you are using’? I’m afraid it is doing bit bad job by default. It just takes every n:th point, which is really bad with some data.

You can make it work in much smarter manner (but also bit slower) by calling setReducingAlgorithm(ReducingAlgorithm.ADVANCED). See
this change
for more details.

cheers,
matti

Yes - this is the original Timeline object. I’m using the new Vaadin Charts, but I have not really explored the details of the library - I continued to use the older object. Should I be changing the underlying structure to create my charts? Where should I start looking??? I’m basically building line charts at the moment - utilization data - links, cpu, memory, that sort of thing…

I will try the other algorithm and see what effect that has on my programs…

thanks,

nbc