Why am I now seeing error messages from "atmosphere" in my logs?

I recently started seeing warning messages from “Atmosphere” in our tomcat error log. I don’t really know (or care much about) what Atmosphere does - I happily assume it’s something Vaadin takes advantage of. But why am I seeing these messages now? Was it our recent move from Tomcat 5 to Tomcat 7 (don’t ask why we were stil on 5) or a change in Vaadin (7.1.15 currently) or Chart add-on (1.1.6)? Does anyone know what I need to do to get rid of these messages? Any help is much appreciated.

Here are the warning messages I see:
May 16, 2014 4:53:44 PM org.atmosphere.cpr.AtmosphereFramework init
WARNING: No BroadcasterCache configured. Broadcasted message between client reconnection will be LOST. It is recommended to configure the org.atmosphere.cache.UUIDBroadcasterCache

May 16, 2014 4:53:46 PM org.atmosphere.cpr.AtmosphereFramework doCometSupport
WARNING: Failed using comet support: org.atmosphere.container.Tomcat7AsyncSupportWithWebSocket, error: Tomcat failed to detect this is a Comet application because context.xml is missing or the Http11NioProtocol Connector is not enabled. If that’s not the case, you can also remove META-INF/context.xml and WEB-INF/lib/atmosphere-compat-tomcat.jar Is the Nio or Apr Connector enabled?

May 16, 2014 4:53:46 PM org.atmosphere.cpr.AtmosphereFramework doCometSupport
WARNING: Using org.atmosphere.container.Tomcat7BIOSupportWithWebSocket

And to top it all off, I’ve seen this exception once so far:

INFO: Installed AtmosphereInterceptor Track Message Size Interceptor using |.
May 16, 2014 11:59:27 AM com.vaadin.server.communication.PushHandler disconnect
SEVERE: Session expired before push was disconnected. This should never happen
com.vaadin.server.SessionExpiredException
at com.vaadin.server.VaadinService.doFindOrCreateVaadinSession(VaadinService.java:707)
at com.vaadin.server.VaadinService.findOrCreateVaadinSession(VaadinService.java:642)
at com.vaadin.server.VaadinService.findVaadinSession(VaadinService.java:501)
at com.vaadin.server.communication.PushHandler.disconnect(PushHandler.java:399)
at com.vaadin.server.communication.PushHandler.onStateChange(PushHandler.java:328)
at org.atmosphere.cpr.AsynchronousProcessor.invokeAtmosphereHandler(AsynchronousProcessor.java:554)
at org.atmosphere.cpr.AsynchronousProcessor.completeLifecycle(AsynchronousProcessor.java:499)
at org.atmosphere.cpr.AsynchronousProcessor.cancelled(AsynchronousProcessor.java:588)
at org.atmosphere.container.Tomcat7CometSupport.cancelled(Tomcat7CometSupport.java:220)
at org.atmosphere.cpr.AsynchronousProcessor$AsynchronousProcessorHook.closed(AsynchronousProcessor.java:629)
at org.atmosphere.websocket.DefaultWebSocketProcessor.close(DefaultWebSocketProcessor.java:268)
at org.atmosphere.container.TomcatWebSocketHandler.onClose(TomcatWebSocketHandler.java:77)
at org.apache.catalina.websocket.StreamInbound.doOnClose(StreamInbound.java:226)
at org.apache.catalina.websocket.StreamInbound.closeOutboundConnection(StreamInbound.java:210)
at org.apache.catalina.websocket.StreamInbound.onData(StreamInbound.java:141)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.upgrade.UpgradeProcessor.upgradeDispatch(UpgradeProcessor.java:88)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:603)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:313)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Hi all, same for me. I’m really interrested to disable this kind of info
Regards
RV

Hi, the “Session expired” exception is probably a bug; if you see it regularly, please open a ticket at
the Vaadin trac
. Vaadin 7.2 configures a broadcaster cache so that warning shouldn’t be an issue anymore.

Anyway, if you’d like to hide the Atmosphere logging, you can do that using a standard java.util.logging configuration; for example the following logging.properties file only displays SEVERE messages from Atmosphere:

handlers = java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler
.level = INFO
org.atmosphere.level = SEVERE
java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level = INFO

Where should that logging.properties file be placed? I put it under src/ (and I’ve checked that Eclipse copies that file into WEB-INF/classes and that Tomcat is opening that file for reading), but the Atmosphere logs are the same as before…

I ended up changing the global java.util.logging config file (in my system located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\lib\logging.properties) where I added:

org.atmosphere.level = WARNING