CSS not working for me yet

This is my first attempt at changing CSS in a Vaadin project. I am doing something wrong.
I have a theme called ‘pizza’ and in my application class I have:

setTheme(“pizza”);

and inI have a file: VAADIN/themes/pizza/styles.css
To which I added

.logostyle {
background: white;
color: red;
font-size: 24pt;
}

and I have a label to which I set up this:

logo = new Label();
	logo.setStyleName("logostyle");
	logo.setImmediate(false);
	logo.setWidth("-1px");
	logo.setHeight("-1px");
	logo.setValue("title");
	verticalLayout_1.addComponent(logo);

I think that should work but it doesn’t make any difference. The label is rendered in the default font.
Can anyone see the step(s) I missed?
Thanks

Hi,

Unless I’m missing something, it looks like it should work like that. If you set the font-size you may also need to set the line-height property.

Too low specificity can sometimes cause CSS rules to be ignored. More specific rules override less specific ones and you may need to add a specifier in the rule to make it more specific. For example, use “.containingstyle .mycomponentstyle {…}” instead of just “.mycomponentstyle” and set the containing style name for a containing layout component. You could use “.v-app .mycomponentstyle” as well.

If you have problems with CSS styling, I really recommend using Firebug to see what’s going on. Just open the Firebug Panel, click the Inspect-button, click the element in the UI and you get the HTML and CSS styling for it. The Net tab shows what files are loaded so if there’s a missing CSS file or it loads a wrong one, you should see it there.

I found the problem, it was staring me in the face.
I’ve got so used to clicking ‘no’ when it asks me to recompile the widgets I do it automatically.
When I picked ‘yes’ the style sheet changes began to appear.
You are quite right that I need to expand the vertical size of the field, but at least is is showing up in red and big, proving the CSS is taking effect.

Thanks for your help
Roger