Client-side development under Eclipse

I have a GWT web application and I’m interested in adding Vaadin as Jar to my project so I can use their nice widgets.

In order to minimize potential errors, I created a clean GWT web project, added
vaadin-client
and
vaadin-client-compiler
Jars, and inherited
com.vaadin.Vaadin
as explained in the Book of Vaadin. I also added the entry point into myproject.gwt.xml.

I got the following error when I tried to run the application:

Loading inherited module 'com.vaadin.Vaadin' 
[ERROR]
 The value ie10 was not previously defined. 
[ERROR]
 Line 64: Unexpected exception while processing element 'set-property' 
com.google.gwt.core.ext.UnableToCompleteException: (see previous log entries)

Thanks

What I suspect is happening is that you have two versions of GWT on your classpath: one from vaadin-client and one from a GWT SDK that the Google plug-in for Eclipse has added. The Vaadin one has support for an ie10 permutation whereas the other instance doesn’t.

Ideally, there should be a small plug-in extending the Google plug-in with support for using the Vaadin JARs directly as a GWT SDK, but that hasn’t been implemented yet.

Note also that it is should not be necessary to inherit DefaultWidgetSet if you are developing pure client side applications - DefaultWidgetSet just inherits the module Vaadin and then adds an entry point that you probably don’t need, so better just inherit the module com.vaadin.Vaadin.

Your diagnosis is correct, the provided gwt-user.jar in GWT 2.5.1 has the error of ie10. Removing this jar and relying on vaadin jars fixed the error. However, the vaadin jar is missing
com.google.gwtcore.shared.SerializableThrowable
and
com.google.gwt.logging.client.LogConfiguration
which caused problems on validation phase.

Sigh, I gave it my best shot, do you have any recommendations for developing nice GWT UI?

Thanks!

LogConfiguration should be in the latest versions of vaadin-client.jar (checked that it is in 7.1.6 JAR that I happened to have open). SerializableThrowable is in the vaadin-shared JAR.

vaadin-client.jar7.1.7 is missing LogConfiguration, adding the 7.1.6 fixed the error.

Now I’m getting the following error when creating any vaadin.ui. component (e.g., Button)

No source code is available for type com.vaadin.ui.Button; did you forget to inherit a required module?

I understand that the ui components are in the server jar and I’m missing one more step to reference them but didn’t find an *.gwt.xml inside vaddin-server-jar to inheret. Could you help me with these steps?

Thanks