Editing and creating sass vaadin themes with eclipse

Hi there,

i tried out vaadin 7 with the new Vaadin theme Sass. But, as I work with Eclipse I am used to technologie enhancements like
code autocompletion, syntax highlighting …

But none of the buildin Editors in my Eclipse seems to recognize the .scss files.

What is the trick here ? I can’t image u all working without code completion

thanks for advice

steffan

I’ve already written about this before…

SASS is a fairly new technology that is used much less than plain CSS, and like with new programming languages, tool support lags (usually years if ever catching up) behind. You can work with CSS themes and live with their restrictions or work with SCSS themes and live with limited tool support. Some developers prefer one of the approaches, others prefer the other.

I haven’t tested these, but you might get partial support by telling Eclipse to open .scss files in the CSS editor (
see this post
) or by using the EclipseColorer plug-in or Aptana Studio (both mentioned in the same thread).

Hi there,

sorry if i havent read your hints regarding eclipse and sass styles.

As i tryed to download the eclipse addon from the website you mentioned, it turnes out that the downloadlink doesnt work…

Bad luck.

Please tell me how do your edit your scss files, as there is no Eclipse interagtion. Which is a " no go " from my point of view!

Do you have any other advise how to edit the themes within eclipse?

thanks

Steffan

I edit them as plain text, as I expect many others to do. I do not write much CSS, though.

Some people prefer to rely on tool support while others choose more powerful languages with limited tool support, … Although different, both approaches can be productive. If you are in the former group and don’t need the new features of SASS, you might indeed prefer sticking to CSS.

One thing what I have found helps is using an eclipse plugin for color encoding the SASS files. I am currently using
Eclipse Colorer
which supports that SASS format and helps at least a bit when reading long SASS files. No autocomplete though.

Is there any other editor to implement SCSS file functionality very well in eclipse ?
Like, if we press control-enter(any keys) then it should suggest us some properties provided by SCSS.

install Aptana as an eclipse plugin, has css autocompletion and so on, works on scss file if you open it with the aptana css source editor, although it shows some errors then that you can ignore…

see this article http://michael-kuehnel.de/eclipse/2014/11/10/sass-editing-in-eclipse.html