Is Vaadin 7 viable in other IDEs (besides Eclipse)

I can’t even get Eclipse Juno (or future Kepler) to launch on my Mountain Lion Mac with only Java 7 installed (no Java 6). That has renewed my interest in using other IDEs, particularly IntelliJ or NetBeans. I’m starting a fresh project in Vaadin 7.

IntelliJ 12 claims basic support for Vaadin. I assume that means Vaadin 6.

Is Vaadin 7 development viable in IntelliJ, NetBeans, or something else?

Can someone point to useful tutorials on configuring Vaadin 7 in such IDEs?

I don’t mind a little bit of tweaking, but I don’t want to be fighting against my tools.

–Basil Bourque

Well, I’ve been developing with Vaadin in IntelliJ for two years now.

Admittedly, I don’t use the Vaadin integration much - we use our own ant file to build the WidgetSet - but that’s only because I started using Vaadin before there was an integration.

HTH a little,

Cheers,

Charles

Hi,

According to
http://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin?pluginId=6727
the IntelliJ Vaadin plug-in supports 7.0.0.rc1, which should work with 7.0.0 aswell as there are no major changes between the versions.

If it does not, you always have the option of creating a Maven project and use the Maven tools available. See e.g.
https://vaadin.com/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Creating%20a%20Maven%20project

Netbeans do play nice with maven projects, so if you create your Vaadin project using the maven archetype , Netbeans will be fine with it too…

I use IntelliJ with a maven project and Vaadin 7 but not the Vaadin integration.

Widgetset will be compiled by maven goal if needed.

I’ve been using the Eclipse plugin pretty exclusively, but all it is still a help tool and not the only tool that can handle the job. A Vaadin is just a web project, like a jsp project or any other web project, with just a Vaadin jars. Before the Eclipse plugin, the way to create a Vaadin project was to do a “New → Dynamic Web Project” which is already there in standard Eclipse. After that you drop in the Vaadin jars onto the classpath, create a main UI class (Application in Vaadin 6) and map your web.xml to that UI class. Widgetset building is another thing you need to do
if
you use add-ons or want to do custom client side code. Doing that is calling a certain java class’ main method with certain parameters, so not much magic there either. A lot of these might be overwhelming for someone getting familiar with Vaadin - the point I just want to make is that there are alternatives to run all of these.

Myself, I’ve been quite pleased of what I’ve seen out of maven projects made for Vaadin. Maven was pain in the beginning when I didn’t understood it, but now that I’ve seen a few working examples, it is actually quite nice.