Firefox 2 problems. Slow and layout broke.

After installig FF2 lately I noticed that my application was unusable with it because of the slowness.

I kept getting the “Unresponsive script” -error. Some pages open up if you clicked the “Continue Script” enough.

Then I updated the version to 5.3.1 that should have fixed the Verticallayout problem with FF2. Well, it made the application a bit faster but it is still unusable. It also mixed up the layout pretty bad. I guess the layout getting broken is mostly because of poor desing of the layout.

So is it the poor layout desing of mine that makes the FF2 so slow or could there be something matter with Toolkit? Browsers that work with no problems are FF3, Chrome, Safari 3, Opera 9.6, IE7 and IE6. Well, naturally there were some issues with IE6 but not bad ones. Browsers that work similarly to FF2 are Netscape 8 and 9.

I have quite many layouts and panels overlapping and the layout analyzer shows some “root problems”, but if I got rid of those, I lost the page scrolling ability the way I needed.

Any suggestions?

If IE6 works, but FF2 does not, I assume that this could be a bug in IT Mill Toolkit. Please try to isolate the problem to a test case and submit a bug report (with the test case included).

I’ll get back to it a bit later as I’ve been rather busy lately. And I’d guess it’ll be pretty hard to isolate the problem because the application is quite large.

But I’ll try to find out what’s causing it…

[quote=Peen]
I have quite many layouts and panels overlapping and the layout analyzer shows some “root problems”, but if I got rid of those, I lost the page scrolling ability the way I needed.
[/quote]Just a side-note, but I suggest you don’t rely on this kind of undefined behaviour. We might change the implementation at some point in a way that breaks this scrolling behaviour (since it’s an invalid layout configuration).

Try to build the scrolling in such way that you don’t get any layout problems from the analyzer.

For somekind of performance “figure” one could try and run the Peacemaker ( http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/ ) .
Firefox 3.5b4 / 2.6Ghz dual core / ubuntu result is 1400 which is “slow” I guess…