Vista compatibilities

Hi there !

My boss asked me if ITMill Toolkit (the client, not the server) is fully compatible & tested in a Windows Vista environnement.

I personnaly think it is (as web browser are not that much OS dependant), but, well, I’ve seen stranger things in my developper life ^^
And of course, as I have only XP & Linux boxes, I can’t test myself :slight_smile:

Thank you,
Quentin.

Hi,

We do testing currently on Windows XP SP2. Other Windows versions such as Vista are tested only occasionally.

I agree, the exact version of Windows should not be that relevant for compatibility. IT Mill Toolkit (the client-side) supports IE 7, which is the default web browser included in both Windows XP and Vista, and Firefox 2 and 3 and Safari and Opera, which too run on both. But we do not currently test all the OS/browser combinations.

As a disclaimer, I hesitate to promise “full compatibility” with any environment, but at most that they are supported. There are many known incompatibilities between browsers and browsers have rendering bugs, some of which may be related to the operating system. While IT Mill Toolkit developers go to ends of the Earth to work around these problems, it is always possible (and even likely) that some remain.

While as XP is our main testing platform, we fully support Vista. If there are any problems - we will fix them.

(and if your company happens to be a commercial licensee we will also give you guarantee on how fast the bugs will get fixed)

Also, we have multiple (five?) developers which have Windows Vista as their OS and they work daily with IT Mill Toolkit projects using Firefox and IE. If you search dev.itmill.com with keyword vista, you’ll see that some of the bugs reported are on Vista environment.