Session timeout and heartbeat on Vaadin version 7.7.9

Hello,
I’m trying to understand the relationship between session timeouts and heartbeats in Vaadin 7.7.9:
One of our clients has a requirement that user sessions timeout after twenty minutes (within a few minutes of this is good enough):
We have set the session timeout property in web.xml as follows:

<session-config>
    <session-timeout>20</session-timeout>
</session-config>

And the following in application.properties:

vaadin.servlet.closeIdleSessions=true

And we’ve played around with several settings for:

vaadin.servlet.heartbeatInterval

It seems that the session won’t time out until the first heartbeat after the time set in the web.xml session-timeout setting has been received.
I hope this example explains what I mean:

Web.xml

<session-config>
        <session-timeout>20</session-timeout>
    </session-config>

Application.properties

vaadin.servlet.closeIdleSessions=true
vaadin.servlet.heartbeatInterval = 600

Scenario 1:

• 13:00 - User activity stops
  • 13:11 - Heartbeat received (next heartbeat will be at 13:21)
  • 13:20 - Session should timeout
  • Session can be extended by any activity in the one minute gap before the next heartbeat is received at 13:21
  • 13:21 - Heartbeat received
  • User experience is that any activity after 13:21 (or the next heartbeat at 13:31) will result in a session timeout – session timeout seems to be around twenty minutes

Scenario 2:

• 13:00 - User activity stops
  • 13:19 - Heartbeat received (next heartbeat will be at 13:29)
  • 13:20 - Session should timeout
  • Session can be extended by any activity in the nine minute gap before the next heartbeat is received at 13:29
  • 13:29 - Heartbeat received
  • User experience is that any activity after 13:29 (or the next heartbeat at 13:39) will result in a session timeout - session timeout seems to be around thirty minutes

Is this correct ?
If we want the session to time out fairly close to the value of <session-timeout> do we need to set a short heartbeat interval (maybe 30 seconds) ?

Thanks in advance for any help.