[Vaadin 8.5.2] Add DOM attribute on elements

Hi !

I’ve been using Vaading framework [8.5.2]
for few months and there are few things I don’t understand.
In my case, I want to add the dom attribute “autocomplete” with “off” value for few components (TextField and DateField).

So I’ve created a custom TextField class which extends the Vaadin TextField class as you can see below :

public class MyCustomTextField extends TextField {
		public MyCustomTextField() {
			super();
			ComponentUtils.setProperty(this, "autocomplete", "off");
		}
	}

The setProperty in my ComponentUtils looks like :

public static void setProperty(Component component, String property, String value) {

if (component.getId() == null) {
      component.setId(UUID.randomUUID().toString());
    }

JavaScript.getCurrent()
        .execute("$('#" + component.getId() + "').attr('" + property + "','" + value + "');");
  }

Could you tell me if it’s the best way to do what I want to achieve or if there is a better way ?

Moreover I don’t understand when the component’s id are generated. In fact, when we pass in the setProperty function, I thought we would never enter in the if(component.getId() == null) but I was completely wrong, we always pass in this condition.
So the component’s id after the construct is null and i’m wondering when those ids are generated…

I hope someone will be able to help me.

Thank you in advance.

Your approach works, but is prone to timing errors. I.e. the JavaScript call works when the element is attached to DOM, but fails if not. Personally I think, it is more efficient to extend the component on client side, since in GWT there is DOM API that has methods to set e.g. attributes and many other things. In this case I would extend the TextField and its client side Widget VTextField.

Here is an example of extended ComboBox https://github.com/TatuLund/PrefixComboBox (it does totally different things, but you can use it as study material to see the pattern how custom components are done by extending existing ones)

Alexandre Pire:
Hi !

I’ve been using Vaading framework [8.5.2]
for few months and there are few things I don’t understand.
In my case, I want to add the dom attribute “autocomplete” with “off” value for few components (TextField and DateField).

So I’ve created a custom TextField class which extends the Vaadin TextField class as you can see below :

public class MyCustomTextField extends TextField {
		public MyCustomTextField() {
			super();
			ComponentUtils.setProperty(this, "autocomplete", "off");
		}
	}

The setProperty in my ComponentUtils looks like :

public static void setProperty(Component component, String property, String value) {

if (component.getId() == null) {
      component.setId(UUID.randomUUID().toString());
    }

JavaScript.getCurrent()
        .execute("$('#" + component.getId() + "').attr('" + property + "','" + value + "');");
  }

Could you tell me if it’s the best way to do what I want to achieve or if there is a better way ?

Moreover I don’t understand when the component’s id are generated. In fact, when we pass in the setProperty function, I thought we would never enter in the if(component.getId() == null) but I was completely wrong, we always pass in this condition.
So the component’s id after the construct is null and i’m wondering when those ids are generated…

I hope someone will be able to help me.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Alexandre,
in this case, how do you read value from DOM field to Java server side ? Please share you solutions.
Thanks!