Vaadin 7 End of life

Today should be the last day for public Vaadin 7 updates and support.

Does anybody know

1. If release 7.7.16 will be the last public one?
  2. What will happen to Vaadin 8 compatibility libraries? Will they be still present in the future 8 releases or the 8.7.0 will be the last with public compatibility libraries?

Thanks,

Gualtiero

If release 7.7.16 will be the last public one?

There will be 7.7.17 coming soonish, and that will be last public one.

What will happen to Vaadin 8 compatibility libraries? Will they be still present in the future 8 releases or the 8.7.0 will be the last with public compatibility libraries?

Compatibility libraries will not be dropped in Vaadin 8, they are still there with new releases.

Thanks, Tatu.

I assume that future public Vaadin 8 releases will include compatibility libraries “aligned” to the 7.7.17, without further public fixes/improvements on the 7 side.

Is my assumption correct?

Gualtiero

I assume that future public Vaadin 8 releases will include compatibility libraries “aligned” to the 7.7.17, without further public fixes/improvements on the 7 side.

Yes, that is a good baseline assumption.

I have a simple question. I am trying to understand what exactly is in the 8.0*.* Version. It seems that I still need 7.0.* jars for creating things like Button or Label?

Am I right to think that Vaadin 8 upgrade still requires vaadin 7 classes in some cases and Vaadin 8 is not packaged with classes that provide components like Button, Label etc??

Thanks

It seems that I still need 7.0.* jars for creating things like Button or Label?

No, there is Button and Label, and most of the familiar components in Vaadin 8.

Only few components are deprecated like there is no longer Table, so you need to use Grid instead. Calendar is also removed from core framework, but it is found in Directory as add-on. Tree in Vaadin 8 is different component than Tree in Vaadin 7.

Thanks Tatu,

So why is it then that when I upgrade the simple starter Maven App I keep having to import 7.7.17 Jar without that dependency i can not get the button/label to compile?

Thanks

We have detailed migration instructions here https://vaadin.com/docs/v8/framework/migration/migrating-to-vaadin8.html

With simple applications, like the button and label starter app use of the compatibility library is not necessary. There may be some imports that you need to uodate.