Component Painting

Hi,

I am quite newbie to addon design, and am approaching the development of a kindof menu with extended options for both desktop and mobile devices. Not considering using touchkit, for css capabilities should suffice for the application needs.

My question is that I don’t quite understand where the painting magic takes place when developing an addon component. On one side, you develop your widget via GWT and sew together the different actions involved via rpc’s while synchronizing state in parallel. The traditional addon structure is understood. However in recent research I have discovered that from the server side there’s the possibility to paint the component (I think via UIDL?), in previous Vaadin versions (< 7) through the paintComponent(PaintTarget) methods, and in >=7 versions I believe through write/readDesign. However I don’t understand how to combine it all, then it appears contradictory to me. Is there an alternate way of drawing html to the client than gwt? Or you have to combine both ways, and if so, how??

Haven’t delved that deep into the vaadin widgetset yet (besides many of the components make use of the legacycomponent class, which is discarded for this purpose) and see that some components seem to be already using this UIDL feature, but I don’t understand how that combines together with gwt, then client rendering is supposed to take place entirely on the client. If any one can drop an example or point me in the right direction in the Vaadin widgetset to find a clarifying example it would help me a lot.

Thanks for taking the time to read and write a couple of lines on the subject.

Regards,

Carlos.

Ok. After some further research I realized that write/readDesign methods are used only for attributes in the context of declarative programming. Don’t understand them yet but I see they have nothing to do with client rendering. It is still done via GWT. So will push for this way to design my component and plainly synchronize the wiring for client and server components.

thanks and regards,

Carlos.