Important Notice - Forums is archived

To simplify things and help our users to be more productive, we have archived the current forum and focus our efforts on helping developers on Stack Overflow. You can post new questions on Stack Overflow or join our Discord channel.

Product icon
TUTORIAL

Vaadin lets you build secure, UX-first PWAs entirely in Java.
Free ebook & tutorial.

Vaadin Touchkit and License question

Satrix Pold
9 years ago Jul 04, 2012 6:25am
Leif Åstrand
9 years ago Jul 05, 2012 7:00am
Henri Sara
9 years ago Jul 06, 2012 7:06am
Hendrik Wimmer
9 years ago Jul 09, 2012 1:16pm
Leif Åstrand
9 years ago Jul 23, 2012 8:47am

Hendrik Wimmer:

Hi, I am working on a small vaadin project for my personal use. It is more a small "get in touch with vaadin"-project but it has a certain practical value for me as well.
It is accessable over the internet (login-protection). Login is only granted to me.
Now I would like to implement a small mobile variant of this project, using Touchkit.

1) Do I need to make my source code available, to use Touchkit without buying a license?
2) As I am completely unfamiliar with open source projects: Do I need to share it in a network like e.g. Sourceforge and let other people modify my project?
3) Do I need to add licensing information somewhere on my website (e.g. footer)?

As you will see from my questions, I am completely new to this.

1) If you are the only user, you only need to make the source code available to yourself! :P This basically means that you can do whatever you want and that you don't need to care about anything stipulated by the license as long as the project is only in your personal use.

2) AGPL and similar licenses do not require you to make the source code publicly available, it only requires you to make it available to users of the software. Section 6d in the AGPL license states that you should "offer equivalent access to the Corresponding Source in the same way through the same place at no further charge" and "maintain clear directions next to the object code saying where to find the Corresponding Source" to users of your service. Even if you don't make the source publicly available, the users of the service are still themselves allowed to make the source that you provided them available in any way they want. You are not required to let other people make any changes to your version of the source, but they are still allowed to make their own changes and publish them wherever they want to (i.e. to fork you project).

3) That's the conventional way of following the requirements in section 6 and 13 of the AGPL. Another popular way is to provide some kind of "About" dialog in the UI of the actual application.

Last updated on Jul, 23rd 2012
Ramesh Dama
6 years ago Jul 03, 2015 5:31am