Embedded Pdf in a Vaadin BrowserFrame in IOS

Good afternoon:

Over the last couple of days I have encountered an issue with Browserframes containing embedded pdfs in IOS. Basically what is happening, is exactly one page of the pdf is shown in the scrollable Browserframe despite the amount of pages the PDF is and is restricted to only the content of the first page. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Here is some test code.

Browserframe browser = new BrowserFrame();
browser.setSizeFull();
browser.setSource(new ExternalSource("URL_OF_PDF*);//the same goes for a FileResource location.

VerticalLayout layout = new VerticalLayout(browser);
layout.setSizeFull();

This issue occurs in IOS(9.3.3), specifically, an iPad with PDFs that are larger than 1 page. Vaadin 7.6.8

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

I am not an iOS user, but my wild guess is that in your case it happens so that, the PDF viewer you use does not give you access to UI controls to flip pages when run inside browser frame. It is difficult to say whether this is a bug in the PDF viewer that is possible designed to be used mostly in full screen mode or the browser. It would be good to hear other peoples experiences about this.

Interesting theory- it should be useing IOS Safari’s default pdf viewer which seems to work if I instead open a new tab with the pdf location in the address bar(I see all of the pages). Something about the browserframe may be disableing/subverting the stock pdf viewer(?)- which may be a bug.

Extra note that I forgot to mention in the above, all browsers in IOS utilize the safari engine, so changeing the browser does not solve the issue- I would honestly be happy with just telling everyone to use Chrome if that solution worked(most people use it anyway despite it’s resource usage), but that is not the case.

Thank you for your response! Hoping to hear from others as well.