Important Notice - Forums is archived

To simplify things and help our users to be more productive, we have archived the current forum and focus our efforts on helping developers on Stack Overflow. You can post new questions on Stack Overflow or join our Discord channel.

Product icon
TUTORIAL

Vaadin lets you build secure, UX-first PWAs entirely in Java.
Free ebook & tutorial.

The Vaadin's future

Ramzi Youssef
1 decade ago Feb 23, 2010 9:59am
Dmitri Livotov
1 decade ago Feb 23, 2010 12:57pm
Ramzi Youssef
1 decade ago Feb 23, 2010 1:10pm
Sami Ekblad
1 decade ago Feb 23, 2010 2:21pm
Ramzi Youssef
1 decade ago Feb 23, 2010 2:46pm
Dmitri Livotov
1 decade ago Feb 23, 2010 2:59pm

To my mind, Reindeer has better look than ExtJs. And it much better understandable in terms of tweaking the theme (Im not saying about tweaking colors only).

There are two points for ExtJS:

1. Number of people are looking for pure-js solutions - Vaadin will not compete here

2. ExtJS has a bit more built-in components than Vaadin. Hopefully, this will be reflected with the Directory, but I think, we really need to make some voting and include several most interesting components into the core widgetset, after Directory launch, of course.

Personally - we've used ExtJS inside GWT in previous product. There are real problems with performance when you're going to manipulate the large datasets on the client side, so one should code very carfeully in order not to stuck with this. Another is more standard look-n-feel, you have (to my mind) apply much more efforts in Ext for making a really custom look in comparison to Vaadin. Unfortunately, this usually understandable only after some time of experience with both :)

Also, having really large extJS+GWT application (like we did) really hurts in terms of debugging - hosted mode does not work well due to complexity of app and GWT translation time is too large.

So as conclusion from my point of view - Vaadin is the best in it's market now, but we really need to have more core client-side widgets in some time - when you got rid of GWT translation process it is hard to return back :) So, avoiding GWT recompilation as much as possible would be a great thing.

P.S. From my side Im currently in process of making a widgetset manager app, just to solve the question in previous paragraph. It will allow to build customized versions of Vaadin.jar file with repackaged default widgetset to allow build profiles on a web and provision a custom vaadin distributions - just to get rid of GWT stuff on the project side. But.. that's a sneak preview of a topic for March or April actually :)

Joonas Lehtinen
1 decade ago Feb 23, 2010 3:09pm
Dmitri Livotov
1 decade ago Feb 23, 2010 3:16pm
Dmitri Livotov
1 decade ago Feb 23, 2010 3:19pm
Jean-François Lamy
1 decade ago Feb 23, 2010 4:05pm
Joonas Lehtinen
1 decade ago Feb 23, 2010 4:31pm
Jean-François Lamy
1 decade ago Feb 23, 2010 4:50pm