Vaadin in wildfly 8.1

Im new to Vaadin and i’ve been reading various webpages about it but im still unable to get it up running.
I happened to stumble upon a post from Adam Bien → http://www.adam-bien.com/roller/abien/entry/essential_vaadin_7_java_ee
which i thought was nice and since i have a need for a way to expose some of my entities in the most simple way, i thought i would examine if vaadin is the way to go.
So im running IntelliJ 14, wildfly 8.1, maven and a project with some entities (no web and no web.xml)
I got Adam Bien’s example up and running and wanted to expand it to be able to show a simple entity
So i would need a JPAContainer to be able to select som data from my datasource, but even that is not possible to me.
After some reading i seem to understand that im supposed to download a vaadin sdk (vaadin-all-7.5.6.zip)
but where do i extract it to and which parts ?? (since im only interested in a simple ui for viewing/editing a few jpa’s ?)

Hi,

Don’t use JPAContainer
. I’m pretty sure it would be Adam’s opinion as well. Create service layer via you access your entities. Check out e.g.
this example
to get started with Vaadin and JPA with a better angle. I tend to suggest also people to throw in
DeltaSpike Data
these days. This
bit more complete Java EE example
uses DeltaSpike Data as well.

cheers,
matti

I looked at the example and tried to use bits of it here and there but still i think i’ll give up now
All this maven configuration is driving me mad

vaadin-cdi
switch
vaadin-themes
cdi-helpers
etc.

and their different versions - some of them exists and others dont, then some conflict in versions etc etc.
My own wildfly/maven config works without problems - but still im not sure if its a vaadin thing
or its the combination of vaadin and my project.
Anyway im not gonna spend more time with it than i already did.
Thanks

Hi,

Some Vaadin add-ons are only available via maven repository of the Directory. Add this to your pom.xml (or settings.mls):

<repository>
   <id>vaadin-addons</id>
   <url>http://maven.vaadin.com/vaadin-addons</url>
</repository>

If it is still not working, I’d really like to figure out what is the problem with your project, could you share its sources?

cheers,
matti

I added the repo and got following error :
[ERROR]
Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:3.1:compile (default-compile) on project PIntegration: Compilation failure
[ERROR]
/C:/workspace//src/main/java/dk/danskespil/presentation/JobForm.java:[22,8]
cannot access org.json.JSONException
[ERROR]
class file for org.json.JSONException not found

Even if im not doing anything which includes json.

the java file :

public class JobForm extends AbstractForm {

@Inject
PostService postService;

TextField name = new MTextField(“Name”);
TextField number = new MTextField(“Number”);
TextField email = new MTextField(“Email”);
DateField birthDate = new PopupDateField(“Birth date”);
Switch sendChristmasCard = new Switch(“Send christmas card”);
MultiSelectTable groups = new MultiSelectTable(“Groups”).withProperties(“name”).withColumnHeaderMode(Table.ColumnHeaderMode.HIDDEN);

public static class AddressRow {
EnumSelect type = new EnumSelect().withWidth(“6em”);
TextField street = new MTextField().withInputPrompt(“street”);
TextField city = new MTextField().withInputPrompt(“city”).withWidth(“6em”);
TextField zip = new MTextField().withInputPrompt(“zip”).withWidth(“4em”);
}
ElementCollectionField jobs = new ElementCollectionField<>(JobExecution.class, AddressRow.class).withCaption(“Addressess”);

@Override
protected Component createContent() {
groups.setOptions(postService.getJobs());
return new MVerticalLayout(
getToolbar(),
new MHorizontalLayout(
new MFormLayout(
name,
number,
email,
birthDate,
sendChristmasCard
).withMargin(false),
groups.withFullHeight()
),
vJobs
).withMargin(new MMarginInfo(false, true)); }
}

Autch, that has bee nasty issue lately. The Vaadin core used to depend on a JSON library which was changed into another implementation and some add-on appraently on the page, I’d suspect Switch, uses the old API. You probably had a newer version of Vaadin and bit outdated version of something else.

I think there is a more recent version of it available. If you started with the jpa-addressbook example, you could check out the latest versions form its pom.xml. I just yesterday updated its versions (Vaadin, add-ons and cdn.virit.in). It should now also behave better in Eclipse by default as
I through in some m2e hints
to the experimental cdn.virit.in service.

cheers,
matti