Webinar: What's new in Vaadin 8?

Tell me more about the “Reindeer” theme compability tool mentioned around minute 41:00. What is it? Where can I get it? Does that tool or something else alter Valo to use same fonts, colors, and sizing of Reindeer?

I found Reindeer to be a good fit for enterprise-style apps. Valo’s defaults are too stylish, too large, and too difficult to read for data-intensive office-worker type use.

Basil, use these variables:
https://github.com/vaadin/valo-demo/blob/master/src/main/webapp/VAADIN/themes/tests-valo-reindeer/_variables.scss

Those should give you same font sizes, margins and spacings and most of the app should behave well. The looks change towards the basic Valo theme, but it don’t consume that much estate from your screen. I could ask around if we have ready made parameters to also change the colors to be closer to the Reindeer theme.

Graham, the new data binding API supports List, arrays and Stream’s for in memory listings. If you aim for best possible performance, heading to streams when accessing JPA backends probably don’t give you that big difference anyways. You can’t leave connections open for large amount of users so you need to do paged requests to the backend anyways. With basic JPA API and the new callback based lazyloading solution (setDataProvider method) will work very efficiently.

cheers,
matti