Stepper component

I created a vaadin table where one of the columns have the intstepper control on it. On value change by way of clicking on the up or the down icon I get an exception message.
Also, vaadin code is using class loading mechanism that is not OSGI compliant and as a result add ons cannot be used without creating fragments. (see line in bold)

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The server RPC interface org.vaadin.risto.stepper.widgetset.client.StepperRpc could not be found
at com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.ServerRpcMethodInvocation.findClass(ServerRpcMethodInvocation.java:52)
at com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.ServerRpcMethodInvocation.(ServerRpcMethodInvocation.java:38)
at com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.AbstractCommunicationManager.parseServerRpcInvocation(AbstractCommunicationManager.java:1808)
at com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.AbstractCommunicationManager.parseInvocation(AbstractCommunicationManager.java:1772)
at com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.AbstractCommunicationManager.parseInvocations(AbstractCommunicationManager.java:1740)
at com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.AbstractCommunicationManager.handleBurst(AbstractCommunicationManager.java:1598)
at com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.AbstractCommunicationManager.handleVariables(AbstractCommunicationManager.java:1543)
at com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.AbstractCommunicationManager.handleUidlRequest(AbstractCommunicationManager.java:577)
at com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.AbstractApplicationServlet.service(AbstractApplicationServlet.java:461)
at com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.AbstractApplicationServlet.service(AbstractApplicationServlet.java:350)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.vaadin.risto.stepper.widgetset.client.StepperRpc
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:506)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:422)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:410)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:107)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:169)

at com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.ServerRpcMethodInvocation.findClass(ServerRpcMethodInvocation.java:45)

… 37 more

Do you have suggestions on how to resolve this so that the mechanism works both with OSGi and in non-OSGi environments?

In any case, please
create a ticket
about the OSGi class loading issue (not just for this add-on but at least RPC in general).

Hi,

I am using a IntStepper and want to block the user to enter values more than 365. As per the below code user should not be able to manually enter any value more than the Max value(365) and less than the Min value(1), but it still allows values like 800 etc.

public Component getStepperValue()
{
IntStepper intStepper = new IntStepper();
intStepper.setValue(1);
intStepper.setStepAmount(1);
intStepper.setMaxValue(365);
intStepper.setManualInputAllowed(true);
intStepper.setInvalidValuesAllowed(false);
return intStepper;

}

I guess the intStepper.setInvalidValuesAllowed(false); is not working properly for me. Any suggestion, how to make this work?

Thnaks in advance.

Hi,

I am using a IntStepper and want to block the user to enter values more than 365. As per the below code user should not be able to manually enter any value more than the Max value(365) and less than the Min value(1), but it still allows values like 800 etc.

public Component getStepperValue()
{
IntStepper intStepper = new IntStepper();
intStepper.setValue(1);
intStepper.setStepAmount(1);
intStepper.setMaxValue(365);
intStepper.setManualInputAllowed(true);
intStepper.setInvalidValuesAllowed(false);
return intStepper;

}

I guess the intStepper.setInvalidValuesAllowed(false); is not working properly for me. I tried adding a server side validator to get the manually entered values and checking if that is > than the max value. But if the value goes > than the Max value, I am not able to get the manually entered value from getValue() .

Any suggestion, how to make this work?

Thanks in advance.

Hi. Please don’t double post.

It seems that your code is correct. The problem is that Stepper isn’t designed to stop the user from entering invalid values if they really want to. It only makes it very hard for the user to enter an invalid value, and prevents value change from firing on invalid values. So with the default settings, if you only set the max value to 5 on an IntStepper, the server side will never fire events on values higher than five. You could also set
allowManualInput
to false, to prevent the user from typing anything.

If you want show validation errors etc. then set the
allowInvalidValues
flag to true. That way the server will receive the invalid values and you can validate them yourself.

Hi Risto,

Thanks for the Reply.

As you said - “If you want show validation errors etc. then set the
allowInvalidValues
flag to true. That way the server will receive the invalid values and you can validate them yourself.” , my second post was actually trying to explain that issue.

So as per your suggestion, I made the allowInvalidValues
[/i] flag to true and tried retrieving the manually entered value using - intStepper.getValue(); and then processing this object myself using a intStepper.validate();. But to my surprise the intStepper.getValue doesn’t set the value of the entered value if the value is > than the MaxValue.

For Example: If the maxvalue was set to 365 using - intStepper.setMaxValue(365) and the user manually enters: 85, the intStpper.getValue returns the Object value as: 85, but at the same time if the user enter 368(i.e which is more than 365) , the intStpper.getValue doesnt gives: 368, instead gives the last clicked value like 1 or 2 etc.

Please suggest.

Thanks,
Smita.

Hi Risto,

Can you please reply to my above question?

Thanks in advance.

Can you check the
demo code on GitHub
and see if your code differs from that? Because the
demo
seems to work ok. I guess the main points are

1. immediate = true
  2. allowInvalidValues = true

Hello Risto,

Thanks for the IntStepper - it
almost
does exactly what we want! There is one thing that is not working as we’d like and I wondered if there is a way of making it work for us?

We have some mandatory fields for which we do not want to set default values (so that the user is forced to enter something). Therefore we start off with blank (null). However the arrows do not work until the text box contains something. Is it possible to have the up & down arrows set a value (either 0 or 1 & -1 respectively) if clicked when the text box is blank?

Cheers,

Paul

Would a nullRepresentation (like the one in Vaadin TextField) suit your needs? If so, please create a ticket to
GitHub issues
. Thanks!

Unless I misunderstood something I do not think that the nullRepresentation would give us what we wanted, because as far as I can see this would mean pre-populating the field with a value. Ideally we want the following behaviour:

1. Field starts blank, if user does nothing and tries to continue they see a missing mandatory field error
  2. If user types value in text box or
    user clicks a button
    then the field contains a value and the user is able to continue

Currently we have to choice of pre-populating with a value in order to allow the user to click a button (but then the user is able to continue without doing anything) or leaving the field blank, in which case the buttons do not work. We have chosen to pre-populate with 0 and hope that the users don’t just click “continue” without checking that the data is correct.

hi, i like the Stepper add on, but i have some trouble using it, maybe you can provide some help?

(EDIT: i just found the Github Issues for stepper, so i posted both new issues there, feel free to ignore this post here).

when using Stepper-2.1.

a) As soon as my self compiled widgetset contains the stepper add on, my vaadin application no longer loads in internet explorer (10). the relevant error as seen in the IE dev console is “…/VAADIN/widgetsets/…Widgetset/undefined.cache.js GET 404”, that means, it tries to fetch an “undefined” cache.js, which of course is unavailable. Changing the 'user agent" setting for my widgetset to include ie10 did not help, and the error disappears as soon as i remove stepper from the class path.

b) invalid values: I use the stepper with server side validation, i.e. i allow invalid values, check those on the server, and correct them to be inside the valid range. i.e. range=5…250 , user enters 2 (or “abc” or any other invalid value), i correct it on the server side by setValue(5). the 5 is then correctly transmitted to the browser and displayed. However, when the user then enters an invalid value again, and the server side corrects it again to “5”. this second time the corrects is not displays (i assume some caching prevents me from setting the same value (here: 5) twice.

thank you for reading it any help you might provide.

cheers, Walter

Hi,
I have same problem as Walter.
Stepper OK with Mozilla, but not compatible with ie10.
The 404 error on undefined.cache.js is even raised at login time in my application due to the widgetset incompatibility.
Is a new version of the Stepper component planned or is it already dead?
Kind Regards

Hello ,

There is a slight layout issue in this add-on as shown in the image, in firefox some part seems to be cropped, but in chrome it seems to be fine in the sample app(theme=reindeer), but when I tried with runo theme it seems to be different again! Can you please help me to solve this layout issue so that it will look alike in different browsers !
13176.png

Very cool.
Is it possible to add a symbol inside the component, between the number and the arrows?
Eg:
35,00 €
21 %

Hello. I have a problem with setValue() method: after i change value with arrows, setValue method changes value on server, but in UI there is still old value.

Hi,
I’m using Floatstepper stepper for currency field (with € add after the field) but when i put more than 10000000 it change to exponential like 1.0E7
Could you tell me how to keep 10 000 000 style
Is there a way to have currency or any symbol inside the field?

Thanks a lot

Hi

Since I upgraded to Vaadin 7.4.0, there seems to be a dependency missing from Stepper - I was getting a NoClassDefFound for org.jsonJSONException

It is easily fixed by inlcuding a compile dependency of:

compile ‘org.json:json:20141113’

On my server I get
com.vaadin.server.ServiceException: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/vaadin/risto/stepper/FloatStepper : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0 (unable to load class org.vaadin.risto.stepper.FloatStepper)

Does stepper not support java 7 any more ? It runs fine locally with java 8.

Hello Risto,
I got this error when i try to use Stepper Addon v2.2.2 (i’m working on vaadin 7.4.5).

“widgetset ‘com.vaadin.defaultwidgetset’ does not contain implementation for org.vaadin.risto.stepper.FloatStepper.”

Steps followed during installation :

• stepper-2.2.2.jar to WEB-INF/lib
  • Compile widgetset

Any suggestions please ?