Representing tri-dimensional data in a grid

I just saw col spans / row grouping with headers in the SmartGWT demo… They are nice / useful, might fit my need.
But of course I want to stick to Vaadin! I have seen enough of a co-worker swearing against SmartGWT, suffering of the complexity and slowness of compilation…
I also saw a
Grid Panel
in the Advanced GWT Components project. They chose the nested table approach, but apparently they do it on demand, not all displayed at once, so it might be lighter on resources.

I hope Vaadin will add these interesting features someday. Meanwhile, for my quick prototype, I will stick to labels, I don’t need selection for now.

Thanks for the detailed answer.

PS.: I had to retype this answer, the forum told me posting was forbidden. I wonder if it was because I voted up your answer while typing the answer…
One inconvenience of Quick Reply is that going back to the page loose the whole answer, as Firefox cannot restore the content of a JavaScript-generated textarea… Perhaps you could add some kind of Ajax save-as-draft every 5 seconds (for example)?

PPS.: Again! This time, I save the message before posting… And I use the main Reply instead of Quick Reply.