Remove FontAwesome from Vaadin theme folder?

Hi Again,

I thought I’d start from scratch with the standard vaadin-themes-7.3.8.jar. I removed all themes (chameleon, liferay, reindeer, runo), leaving only valo, and the app still works ok (i.e shows icons ok) - no surprise.
I removed *.ttf and *.eot… icons still ok.
Then I removed fontawesome-webfont.woff and all icons broke.

It’s becoming clear the app wants the browser to use the .woff font; it breaks without it (either when I use my cut-down jar or the dawn-5.jar), and this is what I need to resolve. I want the app to only suggest one form (.svg) of font.

I noticed in my styles.css (generated from scss) this code:
@font-face {
font-family: FontAwesome;
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(…/valo/util/bourbon/css3/…/…/…/…/base/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.eot);
src: url(…/valo/util/bourbon/css3/…/…/…/…/base/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.eot?#iefix) format(“embedded-opentype”), url(…/valo/util/bourbon/css3/…/…/…/…/base/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.woff) format(“woff”), url(…/valo/util/bourbon/css3/…/…/…/…/base/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.ttf) format(“truetype”), url(…/valo/util/bourbon/css3/…/…/…/…/base/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.svg#FontAwesome) format(“svg”);
}

I assumed that was generated because fonts.scss declares in VAADIN\themes\base\fonts\fonts.scss:

src: url(‘#{$file-name}.eot?#iefix’) format(‘embedded-opentype’), url(‘#{$file-name}.woff’) format(‘woff’), url(‘#{$file-name}.ttf’) format(‘truetype’), url(‘#{$file-name}.svg’) format(‘svg’);

… so I took out the .woff parts, recompiled… but the generated styles.css still has the same references (as above). Any idea why? How? Why is the sass compiler still putting in that .woff reference???

And I suddenly had a thought - all this testing is in Firefox. I just tried Chrome and it worked ok! With only the .svg in the rebuilt theme jar. Arrggg.
So is it the vaadin server end doing browser detection and telling the browser whether to use .woff or .svg, or is it the browser telling the server what it prefers??
(Maybe these days it is more ‘correct’ to use .woff than .svg??)

Any feedback welcome!!!