HttpServletRequestListener.onRequestStart and Application.start replacement

I presume this is the createServletService() method we can override to create our own VaadinServletService with requestStart() and requestEnd(). I do have that code commented out in our EsfVaadinServlet to give it a try once it’s ready.

Very true. I think we were not entirely sure about all of the Vaadin-specific requests you mentioned, but in our testing we found that since we map Vaadin to the a “/ui/" path from our login page (so we can handle all of our own JSP/servlets/files without going through the VaadinServlet), we were able to allow all "/VAADIN/” requests to just pass through without the login verification and just ensure they are logged in otherwise. It seems this is working.

Well, the login redirect now is using only servlet code because we couldn’t get it to work using just Vaadin APIs.

The MainView.updateLastServerCommunications is a hook we have that shows/monitors the last server communications – and we also happen to show the last communications time in our app’s footer. We’d like this to occur on each HTTP request with Vaadin objects setup, so this code will probably live in the new 7.1 onRequestStart() once it’s ready, and then our login check will probably take place there, too.

You are right that when we found out how to make the SystemMessages override work in Vaadin 7, we slipped in the code to see about the VaadinRequest, but it’s actually test code that we failed to remove as we tried out various options trying to beat it all into submission. We still use it to override SystemMessages, but we’ve removed that dead code thanks to your review pointing out it was still in there!