Custom Layouts, using regular CSS

Hum, I don’t know exactly the scenario but …

Debugging the application you see the values in the server side? I mean: you load the HTML adding the components to the place holders you defined in the template, right? Then, you handle the click of the button, process the request and update the values of components you need to update in the view (labels, text fields, etc). Ok? Debugging the application, can you confirm the components were updated and contain the values you need/want?

You could try 2 things (it really depends on how dynamic the behavior is there in your app, so I am giving the 2 that worked to me):

You could use

UI.getCurrent().access(new Runnable () { public void run() { // you do whatever you need here, updating the components in the server side UI.getCurrent().push(); } } * I use this one when I have a page displayed and want to update some fields that were updated by another background process runing periodically. But I also need to confess I never used this with custom layouts, although I think there’d not be behavioral differences between the 2 approaches (via template or via full java code).

or you could update the components in the UI with the results of the processing you are performing, then mark them as dirty to force the method beforeClientResponse() is invoked.

Should work. Good luck.