Off-the-shelf theme & layout for vaadin

Hi,
I’m currently evaluation Vaadin for our next project rollout. So far I’m very impress by framework itself. But still I’m afraid to move forward due to lack of knowledge in areas like layout and theming. I believe Valo is good way to proceed but we still troubling topics like css & saas.

I’m coming from primefaces background and which provides good options for our case like off-the-self layouts (http://www.primefaces.org/layouts/sentinel).

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Chatura

Hi,

With Vaadin, once you get started with out layouting, it is so easy to make application specific layouts using composition that pretty much everybody has them in their projects. There are also couple of layout add-ons in
the Directory
and e.g.
cdi-helpers
add-on contains a “top level” layout and navigation that is automatically built based on the views that you have on your classpath.

But it might indeed be a good idea to build a catalog of “base layouts” for typical applications. This way developers could just copy paste or extend the most common patterns to their applications.

In theme development Valo is indeed nowadays a great basis. If one learns some CSS (and SASS), you can create pretty nice custom themes really fast. And in case you don’t want to focus on that part, I’d suggest to contact our sales. Building stunning custom themes (recently most often based on Valo theme enging) is one our our most popular
consulting tasks

cheers,
matti