Performance advices for big GridLayout or using other layout?

Hello,
I have a perfomance question to the community.
I have implemented a timetable using the grid layout. The timetable is representing 24 hours.
Each row represents a certain time, the interval can be 10, 15, 30, 60 minutes meaning I can have a maximum of 288 rows in one timetable.
The maximum number of columns are not sepcified, because each column represents a selectable court (you see I am writing about a reservation timetable for courts). Currently I have not defined a maximum of courts for the timetable, I have tested it with up to 16 courts (columns) with a interval of 15 minutes. The timetable consists of native buttons, which can be clicked to open a reservation windows. Meanwhile on MacOSX this table is loaded quiet fast and Firefox does not seem to hang on Windows 7 the loading time is also acceptable (not as good as on MacOSX) but during the creation of the timetable the browser seems to hang for a short time and the cooling of the computer rises.
My worries are, that with an older computer (I tested on a 2011 Dell Latitude with 6GB RAM) the webapplication rendering of the UI is to slow that the application is userfriendly.

Therefore I want to ask if there are any layouts which are more “efficient” for huge timetables.

Thanks,
Florian

Hi, in my experience GridLayout with many components can be slow.

You can try CssLayout: it is faster (because it is simpler) but you have to use CSS to set the position of every component.

Another option is a CustomLayout: you can write your layout as a template in HTML that provides locations of any contained components. For example you can put your components in a table.

Look in the Book of Vaadin for details.

Claudio

Thank you for your adivices especially the last one with a custom layout is interesting, I did not think on that.

Thanks,
Florian