maven nullPointer on vaadin-archetype-clean

Tried to use a number of the vaadin archetypes - get this on all when I try to
compile - any help??

[ERROR]
Failed to execute goal org.codehaus.mojo:properties-maven-plugin:1.0-al
pha-2:read-project-properties (default) on project vaadin-archetype-clean: Exec
ution default of goal org.codehaus.mojo:properties-maven-plugin:1.0-alpha-2:rea
d-project-properties failed. NullPointerException → [Help 1]

What goal have you specified in the run configuration? What servlet-application are you using?

If a proper maven project, this should not fail:

svn checkout http://dev.vaadin.com/svn/integration/maven/archetypes/MavenArchetype
cd MavenArchetype
mvn compile

[INFO]
Scanning for projects…
[WARNING]

[WARNING]
Some problems were encountered while building the effective model for com.vaadin:vaadin-archetype-sample:maven-arc
hetype:1.6.1
[WARNING]
‘build.plugins.plugin.version’ for org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-gpg-plugin is missing. @ line 110, column 15
[WARNING]

[WARNING]
It is highly recommended to fix these problems because they threaten the stability of your build.
[WARNING]

[WARNING]
For this reason, future Maven versions might no longer support building such malformed projects.
[WARNING]

[INFO]

[INFO]

[INFO]
Building Vaadin Application Archetype 1.6.1
[INFO]

[INFO]

[INFO]
— properties-maven-plugin:1.0-alpha-2:read-project-properties (default) @ vaadin-archetype-sample —
[INFO]

[INFO]
BUILD FAILURE
[INFO]

[INFO]
Total time: 0.925s
[INFO]
Finished at: Fri Nov 04 11:33:38 PDT 2011
[INFO]
Final Memory: 4M/81M
[INFO]

[ERROR]
Failed to execute goal org.codehaus.mojo:properties-maven-plugin:1.0-alpha-2:read-project-properties (default) on pr
oject vaadin-archetype-sample: Execution default of goal org.codehaus.mojo:properties-maven-plugin:1.0-alpha-2:read-project-
properties failed. NullPointerException → [Help 1]

[ERROR]

[ERROR]
To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e switch.
[ERROR]
Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.
[ERROR]

[ERROR]
For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:
[ERROR]
[Help 1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/PluginExecutionException

I was a bit confused until I saw that you are trying to compile the archetype itself instead of using it to create a project.

To use the archetype, you do not need to get it from SVN and compile it - see e.g.
the related chapter in the book

This NPE is caused by the archetype project wanting to read some parameters (mostly related to signing or artifacts) from a configuration file. The configuration file name must be given to the “mvn compile” or “mvn package” command here, otherwise properties-maven-plugin fails. I personally consider this behavior a bug in the properties plugin. There are (somewhat unnecessarily complicated) ways to get around this, but as the archetypes are almost never compiled by anyone except on our continuous integration system, we have not gone through the trouble of applying them. You can create an enhancement request about this if you want.

In any case, there would be a lot of room for improvement in the archetypes, the three current main archetypes will probably be replaced with an “application” archetype, and the add-on archetype improved, but there is no concrete schedule for this at the moment.

Yes, I started here, but the touchkit archetype generation fails so I thought maybe I could get there from svn.
Sigh…