Thoughts on Vaadin 7 API

Wrote down some thoughts on how it might be possible to make Vaadin API better in the next major version. In order to develop these ideas further - to form a proposal on what could be done, please add comments to
my wiki page on the subject

Is Vaadin 7 under construction or still at the API/design stage? Any info on when it might be available for testing?

Thanks!

Still in planning/design stage, and also the design will follow an agile process instead of all being done at once.
User feedback will be solicited on at least some of the proposed enhancements as they are designed.

The branch in SVN will probably open this or next week, and nightly builds should be available soon after that.

I was wondering if there has been any update on the status of Vaadin 7.

Looking at some of the wiki and forum pages, I get the feeling that Vaadin 7 is still in its early stages of feature discussions. But the Roadmap page says it will be released “sometime” in 2011. Which quarter this year is the Vaadin dev group targeting release of 7.0?

Thanks

You are absolutely correct.

He have been pushing Vaadin 7 development forwards as development of some integrations as well as Visual Editor has taken a lot longer than we though. Also the vision has changed a bit - instead of pushing all the new things to Vaadin 7, we’ll try to get as many of them already in Vaadin 6 as possible.

At the moment there is no schedule yet, but we are working on it and hope to be able to have clearer image of this. The roadmap will get updated as soon as this is done.

So how to take Vaadin 7 into account when planning for application development roadmaps? Simply: do not take it into account - build on Vaadin 6. Vaadin 6 will be supported in parallel with Vaadin 7. Also the try to make migration from 6 to 7 as smooth as possible, so it wont be a herculean effort - even for a large application.

Would you recommend building a new app using Navigator 7 on top of Vaadin 6 then?

Is Navigator 7 even related to Vaadin 7?

One trick with any major upgrade is how to get it going without stalling existing work that wants to “wait” for whatever is promised. Good luck!