Webinar: IntelliJ IDEA and Vaadin

Join Breandan Considine from JetBrains and Matti Tahvonen from Vaadin on how to use the full power of Vaadin and IDEA together.

Learn all the tips and tricks and get started with your new IDE in no time!

embedyoutube=lENcSllrJfM

Starting Tuesday October 21st 2014 @ 3PM CET

Post your questions and comments below.

I think you didn’t get the auto option for stream because you weren’t using measurements.get(i) in the for loop.

In Germany I cannot follow because of “Live Streaming is not possible because of law problems in Germany”
;-(
16869.jpg

Can you tell us what’s in the Eclipse plugin that’s not in the IDEA plugin (yet)?

We are really sorry about the Java 8 problems we had there that cost you 15 minutes of nonsence :-(. I (together with the experimental
floobits
plugin, which is still quite cool) somehow broke it just before the event. Deleting all settings (except pom.xml) worked. I’ll post the final example project soon.

Bobby, I think the answer is pretty much Visual Designer. And I actually used nothing Vaadin plugin related in the webinar. So you can do all that (except use the in IDE deployment) with the free community version as well!

cheers,
matti

Yes, sadly this is a known problem… :frowning: More info in
Wikipedia

The project we played with is now available in github with instructions how to import it into IntelliJ:

https://github.com/mstahv/intellijwebinar

I configured also the backend module to be built with java 7 so you can play with it even though you still can’t use the latest and greatest java version. If you want to do the exercise I did in webinar, just delete the webui directory and the webui declaration from parent pom.xml.

cheers,
matti

Hi!
You are always download new libraries from vaadin maven repo, but it is not available by default.
Please, write here which user archetypes and which maven repositories are you use? And how to tune them?
Or give a link for people like me :slight_smile:

Yes, many add-ons are not available in maven central, like our commercial chart add-on. You’ll find maven repository and add-on maven snippets handy via our
Directory

I used com.vaadin:vaadin-archetype-application in the webinar to create the project stub. It has the add-on repository preconfigured as well as vaadin maven plugin to compile widgetsets and themes. Check
out this wiki page
as well.

And if you have existing web app module, you can “plagiate” the relevant configs from that archetype. For simple java ee apps, you could also use my
vaadin-java-ee dependency collection

cheers,
matti

Thanks for webinar!
I got a few new ways to work for my 4 years vaadin practice.

I knew it is difficult to see any videos with music; but a company presentation?
This is more than stupid.
But thanks to YOuTube Unblocker I could finally participate.
Thanks!

Hi,

Here are some links related to the webinar:

Most essentially,
download a fresh version of IntelliJ IDEA
. I have been using the preview release of version 14 and it is rather stable already. Then, check out also
the recent post by Breandan
with the same topic we hade here. The upcoming improved superdevmode in IntelliJ IDEA 14 is covered in
JetBrains blog

If you are attending to our GWT.Create confrence, check out these two sessions:

If you got interested about improving Vaadin support even further, check out
this page
to get started building extensions.

cheers,
matti