Long Polling & Akamai

Has anyone seen Vaadin 7 push working in conjunction with Akamai?

We have an application using long polling/push that works fine when using a conventional web server without a CDN.

When we deploy on the Akamai network the same application sees very long pauses between UI events before the app becomes responsive, about 60 sec.

What I’m seeing is:

Click on a Vaadin UI button

After a timeout period of about 60 sec a socket is established and PUSH/HEARTBEAT traffic is sent over that
socket. As long as the user continues to do things that exercise this the socket remains openL and PUSH/HEARTBEAT
traffic continues to flow

After a 60 sec timeout period with no user activity the socket connection between our web server and the Akamai proxy continues to stay up, but no PUSH/HEARTBEAT traffic flows over it

Clicking on a UI button goes through another 60 sec timeout period before it becomes responsive, and a new socket is opened from the Akamai proxy to our web server. More PUSH/HEARTBEAT traffic flows over the new socket, but not the old one, which eventually closes.

We’re using Vaadin 7.3.2, in the Push.MANUAL mode.

I suspect the connection between the client and the Akamai CDN proxy is going down, while the original connection between the Akamai proxy and our server stays up, but I don’t have visibility into that. The Akamai guys are no help and simply punt it back to us.

Anyone seen this behavior before?